1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP! my warwick has a bad issue..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Josh Emmons, Apr 26, 2009.

1. This is really ticking me off... my beauty bass (warwick thumb BO 02) is getting this crappy frett buzz, ive taken it to the guitar center twice now. both times they raised the nut, the bridge, and adjusted the truss rod. it still gets this annoying frett buzz. as you know i live in colorado, and its getting worse and worse... plz any tips, or hints. P.S. the bridge is getting high enough that its now cutting back on its sound...I just got back from my luthier. they did every thing they could, and still theirs that terrible fret buzz. i am going to sell my thumb bo bass, and get a neck through.if the neck through isnt better, i will never trust warwick. Is their any sort of warwick warrenty so i can replace the bass and sell it? i do so far trust warwick. and i've herd the neck through, its beautiful! it seems like the bolt on thumb is allways getting the fret buzz problem...

2. Dude, don't waste your time taking it to GC. You need to have your luthier dress the frets. Maybe getting your bass Plek'd may do the trick.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    +1 to that

4. I took it to Guitar center, then i took it to my luthier. the DID work on the frets,and still its not addressed.

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    where on the neck is it buzzing? all over?

can i ask how long you've been playing? not to offend you, but if it hasn't been long, this could still be a technique issue

6. about 6 or so years. i dont think its my playing. i play my other basses, and its not getting any buzz

7. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    your in colorado so follow the high altitude directions on the box of cookies your baking!!
    jk i have a similar problem with one of my cheapo basses and taking to a "real" pro should solve it

8. Its from the 2nd fret to the 8th frett, and the 14th frett on.

9. I'd go to the Warwick forums then and ask your question there. they have actual Warwick people there that can help you with your questions. I'm not sure about what your warranty will cover. Every bass manufacturer will put out duds from time to time. If your bass is fairly new, like within 2 years old, I'm guessing that they would help you out as long as you're not a touring professional and you take it on the road. Hit them up and ask them over there.

10. I have... about 3 days ago..

11. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    Where on the neck is it buzzing? I.e., what fret(s). Also, when is it buzzing? Unplugged or plugged in? When you say buzz, do you mean some light rattle against higher frets, or a "plink" that rattles and dies without sustain?

Fret buzz can start on any bass, no matter how well made, if conditions are drastic enough.

The luthier you took the bass to, how do you know him? A good luthier should be able to fix fret buzz in any but the most horrific of situations. If not fixable, the luthier should be able to give you specifics as to why.

Give us more info; most likely, your beauty is fine and just needs some minor work.

12. Its from the 2nd fret to the 8th frett, and the 14th frett or so...

13. and BTW. its not my style of playing. it goes off at nothing. its plugged AND unplugged.

14. Underworld

Underworld

Apr 25, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    Have you tried putting on new strings? This has only happend to me once, but I had a set of strings that were going dead suddenly cause bad fret buzz.

15. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    It's possible that you have a couple of raised frets causing several before it to buzz (i.e., 8th and 24th), but there are some that aren't buzzing because of the high action/nut height/relief.

Was there any work done on it that precipitated the buzzing?

My best suggestion would be to get a second opinion from a good tech/luthier.

16. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Whatever you do, make sure you/a tech looks at the neck to see if it's got a twist. Is the buzzing on all of the strings, or primarily on the outer two? Have you noticed any frets where it seems the notes don't ring out, but decay quickly?

If your bass is a '02, you probably do not have a warranty.

17. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

You lost me at Guitar Center