1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

[Help] Nasty (and loud) crackling noise from my dad's new bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mickyyun, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Mickyyun

Mickyyun

Aug 21, 2017
    Just bought my dad a bass guitar (active) with a Fender rumble 25 but this loud crackling noise keeps coming through (as shown in the video) when i turn the volume up on the guitar. I dont think its the amp or cable (ive tried different ones) so im assuming its a grounding issue? Im not really sure, but if it is, what should i do?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. Does it make noise when you turn the pot back and forth?

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Is it an active or passive bass? If passive, I would look for bad solder joints, or a bad capacitor. If active I would check the battery connection at the output jack, and if that's OK there's likely a fault in the preamp, which is not usually a DIY fix.

Mickyyun and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Mickyyun

Mickyyun

Aug 21, 2017
    Yes it does

Its an active bass. How would i check the battery connection

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    That's the classic symptoms of a dirty or worn out volume pot. Try cleaning the volume control first. You'll have to take off the back cover or pickguard to access the controls. Get the correct product to do this, just to make things extra confusing there's two companies that make pot cleaner with very similar names:
    De-ox-ID and Caig deoxIT.
    I don't think the brand is particularly important as long as you get "contact cleaner and lube" and not just contact cleaner. Pots have a thin film of grease inside to lubricate them so they operate smoothly and if you remove that grease with plain contact cleaner the volume control will wear out much faster.

Mickyyun likes this.
  6. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    It doesn't look like it's related to the volume pot. It makes noise while not touching to or moving anything. I think the preamp is faulty.
    You should contact the seller and return the bass if it's possible. I don't think it's a simple grounding issue.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021