1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help, neck screws broke off

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bryanonbass, Feb 29, 2008.

1. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    i got em out!!!!

in trying to put on a new neck on a bass, three of the 4 screws broke.
    CHEAP ****** HARDWARE!!!!!

anyway now I have 3 screws that are in the body and attached to the neck with no way of getting them off without damaging something.

its a cheap sx bass, so im not devastated, but at the same time im devastated.

any help in how to get the neck off and the screws out of the body without damaging anything would be helpful.

2. Cebe

Cebe

Jan 29, 2008
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Hmm. It would be nice if you could put picture of it.
    What would I try to do is next - it`s maybe not smart but take it as a suggestion.
    Some instruments have round holes on body, so there is no actually contact between screw and wood. Screw just go throught hole and then into neck. So i think if you could pull out neck from body you wont make big damage to holes in body. Sorry on my bad english, I hope you get what i`m thinking.

3. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    thanks, everyone. I thought there were more posts than this.
    Anyway. I am very impatient and shouldn't attempt things like this.

It was my own fault, I didn't predrill the neck holes deep enough and add onto the fact that the SX comes with VERY cheap hardware.

Luckily I was able to get the neck off the bass with very limited damage (all aesthetic)
    to the bass and new neck.

Ill post photos once the bass is put back together.
    I ended up just getting slightly bigger screws and all worked out.

4. Smash the body open wth a sledgehammer, that will get the screws out.

oh... you said without damaging anything.

Its much more fun if you can damage something you know...

5. Cebe

Cebe

Jan 29, 2008
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Good for you. Please if u have picture of neck with broken screws i would like to see it.

6. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    If you haven't done it already, make sure the holes in the body are large enough for the screws to pass through freely - they should only grab the neck and they have to be able to pull it tightly into the pocket.