Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, need 76-79 SVT schematic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 3, 2005.

1. If you go to the official ampeg site and use the site map you can find the 72 SVT schemtic. I don't know if it is the same or not.

2. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Tim,
    Let me check my book when I get home I just may be able to help. I was Factory Service for Ampeg and a bunch of others in the Late 70's and 80's.

It'll be a couple of days till I can get it together.

Hang loose. :)

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I called them, and they told me it was going to cost like 17 bucks or something including shipping. No thanks, I already have almost 2 grand in this pile of **** so far.

Not sure if they would be the same or not, but I can't risk it being different at this point. Thanks though!

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks bud!

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Whats the problem with the amp? Last I read you were asking about bias for KT-88 because the tech didnt know how. Did you take it to a good service tech? I would be skeptical if the they didnt know how to bias the amp with different output tubes.

6. Tim;

Check out www.drtube.com.

Click on "Guitar Amps" then "Ampeg" and scroll down to the "Super Valve Technology" heading. The preamp schematic and 6550 power amp schematics by Joe Piazza are the ones you want. I've checked them against my '76 and they're accurate. The Ampeg one is a mess and really hard to read.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    LONG story man, but I now need to spring for a power transformer as well due to what the "tech" said was a faulty power tube (a new one). He also said he had a couple different schematics, and didn't seem sure he had the right one.

While not an SVT guy, this guy is supposed to be really good at tube amps in general, or so they say.

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    You need the power section skit that says "SVT-V9 power" or something like that. I have it on my hard drive, but let me see if I can find it online...

9. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Craptastic... hope it all works out for you!

11. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Tim,
    My Bass Brother...this is your Lucky Day :hyper:
    I have the SVT service manual dated 5-1-77....

How do you want it? :D

Copied? Faxed? Scanned?

PM Me and we will hook up your info

Dave

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Whoa, that's beyond awesome!!!!

PM sent!

13. AmpegSVT

AmpegSVT

Jul 16, 2005
    Canton Ohio USA
    Thank you to Funknegrooven for mailing me a copy of the SVT service manual. :D

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Indeed, it is a VERY cool piece of literature even if I didn't need it (which I do....)

THANKS!

Now if the tech would just get the damn thing done already.

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Power transformer?

I mean, they CAN fail, but........ not from one bad tube, either..... usually. I'm actually not sure what it takes to kill one, I never have replaced one from an old SVT, never had to.

Does he mean the large main power transformer?

Or the smaller filament transformer? I think I had to replace one of those once in the dim past....

You'd get a second opinion in a medical matter..... this might be a good time for that.

If he isn't familiar with the SVT, that could be a problem also.... yes its a tube amp, and yes the issues are similar, but high power units are different from your average Princeton ......

16. I may be wrong, but i think tim got a really dodgy power tube that had the pins wired up wrong!

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ya, I was told it was the big power tranny that went poof, so I bought another for it. It was a faulty wired tube, but from a highly educated source there would have to have been quite a few different things wrong in order for it to pop the transformer like that.

I stopped by the place today, and he STILL hasn't attempted to fix it yet. If it isn't done very soon, I am just going to go pay the bill and take all the parts home in a basket.