HELP! Need a good 5-string stat

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bhuckabee, Sep 18, 2003.

1. bhuckabee

Sep 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I was wanting some opinions on good moderately priced 5-string or if anyone in the Atlanta area has a used one they'd like to part with.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Without any other details, it is somewhat difficult to determine what you mean by "moderately priced". With that in mind, I think that Mike Lull makes a great 5 string vintage-inspired jazz bass and offers the best value and "bang for the buck" of all of the high-end vintage jazz builders. However, if you're looking for something a little more modern and aggressive, both in tone and styling, I also think that the Benavente Vintage Vortex series is an amazing value. Chris is famous for this tight B-strings and is doing some fantastic work with the Vortex series.

On the other end of the spectrum, Nordstrand basses offer the ability to customize virtually every aspect of your bass. Carey Nordstrand is winning people over by the boatload, and all you have to do is ask those at the forum who have been lucky enough to get ahold of one of his amazing instruments.

Another option would be to go with a J Series Eshenbaugh. There aren't too many of these around, as Mark is just starting to ramp up his production, but I LOVE the styling of the J Series and how he uses laminates to highlight and accent different laminations. Again, if you're talking about a bass in the $500-$800 range, these hand-crafted instruments might be out of reach. However, if you're looking for fine craftsmanship that often exceeds the quallity of work found on basses in the $6,000-$7000 range, then these guys offer an amazing amount of bang for the buck and an amazing value at the same time!
  3. let us know what your price range is. I am currently looking for a nice 5-string in the around $1000 range and am thinking about a Music Man SR5 or a Peavey Cirrus. both of those are nice, I just gotta figure out which one I like more.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Lakland 55-01.
  5. bhuckabee

Sep 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    yeah was looking for $1000-1500 and heard the Lakeland was nice. I wouldn't really consider a $6000 bass moderately priced. It'll be in bar gigs and I don't want to worry about it more than my car. Thanks for all the great tips so far.