Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help need advice - Need Synth Sound for 80's music

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I have to play some 80's music like banarama's cruel summer and Michael Jackson's Thriller that have some synth bass playing. I've tried using the Ibanez SB7 but I can't get it to sound right. Help! Any suggestions? I was looking at the Boss ME50B or the Boss SYB5 but I'm not sure if that will work either. I've done several searches but couldn't get any agreement except for the Akai deep impact which I can't find. Thanks!

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    other than a keyboard...

ive got the syb-5, i dont use it much.. i didnt notice right away that there was that 80s pop sound, but it could well be there. search the forums about the syb-5 and u will find people think it is 'ok'. tracking is ok and sounds are ok...

i would have thought the SB7 would have produced the funky/pop kinda sound but ive never used it so i dont know.

deep impact definately does make those kind of sounds but as u say, its hard to find.

also u could think about the digitech bass synth wah.

i had the me-50b and i didnt like its synth capability.

3. Electro Harmonix Bass Microsynth.... its the best even better that the akai impact its fully analog so you have a total control of ypu effect a little bit expensive but you wont regret, its soo good that it even has an analog octaver in it

4. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that the ME50B synth would do it because it's small and battery operated.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, the me-50b synth won't cut it.
    Deep Impacts come up on Ebay frequently, but unfortunatley at increasingly ridiculous prices. You can find Korg G5's (another excellent, discontinued synth pedal) on ebay generally in the $200-$250 range.
    There's also the ehx bass micro synth, which apparently now has true bypass which would solve one of it's main issues.

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You could go all the way and get a midi pickup installed and use a sound module

7. I've been seriously considering getting a module and controller keyboard for this exact reason. Would that be the one to go for to get thoughs sounds? I'm trying to get the thriller sound, and sounds like that on the Jackson's Shake Your Body, and Nena's 99 red balloons, and other stuff like that. I've given up trying to use my bass and effects, cause I've just not found a set up that I'm happy with. However a controller keyboard and module, or a synth would probably do the job better, but I don't know what I should try and get.

any helpers?

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I second the Korg G5 recommendations. And I have a EHX bass micro synth.

The G5 seems to nail the mid 80's funk stuff from the Dazz Band and the Gap Band pretty squarely on the nose. Not too sure about the Bananarama stuff, though. I just refuse to get a keyboard to play bass.:D

9. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Specifically on the SYB-5, I have one and would say sound is ok, tracking is below ok.

The sound does get a lot beefier (in fact, REALLY GOOD), if you add in a fuzz and some modulation after it. The tracking can be helped by messing around with settings, and I suspect my active EMGs are confusing it a bit and it might work better on passives.

It does give you access to a lot of cool noises, btw, especially combined with other effects.

IMHO and IME, YMMV, of course.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Fot the price of some of these synth pedals, there's some pretty nice digital synths. Micro Korg, for one, which has even got some analog controls. I used to have a Little Phatty, (analog), and now have a Korg X-50. Sometimes, there's nothing like the real thing.

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The teeny-tiny keys on the Micro Korg put me off.