Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Nov 18, 2003.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    So heres the problem. I have a very nice custom model warick 5 string. 3 diffrent types of wood on the body alone with honey maple gloss finish. The bass is a mix between a corvette proline and a corvette fna. Its only about 2 years old and i got the thing brand new. I had a ernie ball 4 string but my band was changing our style of music and now we i use the b string in most of my bands songs. Lately i cant get good tone out of my bass. I have a killer set up,mesa 4x10s and a mesa 15 with a gallien krugger 1001 head. The last couple of shows my band has played and sometimes even in pratice i get this destortion sound that i hate. My style of playing is very diverse and in our songs i use a pick alot, but in others i use just fingers and a few slap lines. When i first started playin i liked red hot chili peppers, 311, incubus, and i still do like these bands, but my band is more of a harder band like glassjaw, deftones, i really like the tone glassjaws bassist david allen has! espically when he puts on his bass pedal for that hard destortion sound. Lately i have been thinkin about what if i traded my bass in for a nice fender p bass, i no i could find a really good deal for my bass and probably have money left over even if i did get a fender, but if this did happen it would mean i would have to down tone my bass?? what the hell should i do?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    How about changing the battery?

3. like slug said . . .

Make sure all your batteries are fresh. Do youhave any effects you are using? make sure they have good batteries too. (or a DC supply)

when you turn your bass down and turn up your amp, do you still have the problem? If it's your bass's battery that should help.

Try another bass with your rig, that will rule out any problem with that part of the signal chain.

best of all batteries are cheap, you don't need ot buy a new bass.

BT