Help...need advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hi_Im_Mark, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Hi_Im_Mark

Mar 9, 2003
    Need some quick advice...
    Between the these three amps, which would you prefer:
    1) Behringer BX1200 (1x12, 120watts)
    2) Fender Bassman 60 (1x12, 60watts)
    3) Yorkville (1x15, 100watts) Can't remember model number

2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like the new Bassman series. Good amps! I am not familiar with the other ones though.
  3. I'd go with the Yorkville, I played through one of those...and I've played the higher powered 400W model...Good amps, excellent sound...Great value.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bassman 60, 1,000 percent. The other two are essentially crud.
  5. Hi_Im_Mark

Mar 9, 2003
    A lot of people have told me that with Fender gear, you're just paying for the name.
    Any truth to this??
    I'm on a very limited budget, so I'm trying to find the best bang for my buck.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Those Yorkville's are supposed to be nice. You'll get more for your money getting the Yorkville, but, the only one of the 3 I've used is the Fender Bassman. It's nice, tho, I'd rather go w/ an Ampeg BA, or an SWR Workingman Combo.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think the Yorkville Model you are talking about is the Y200K. It is a decent sounding combo, though I would take the Fender Bassman 60 over it any day. I think you would be surprised just how good these combos sound!
  8. Hi_Im_Mark

Mar 9, 2003
    I've got another question for you folks...
    I don't know much about this kind of stuff, so please bare with me.

I noticed that the Behringer amp is rated at 120watts whereas the Fender amp is only rated at 60watts, but costs more money.
    The features are almost identical between the two.
    Are Fender amps that much better, or are you just paying for the name??
  9. I dunno bout Behringers, but I know the Fender Bassman combos are very very sweet. Yorkville's are absolute **** in my opinion.
  10. Hi_Im_Mark

Mar 9, 2003
    My first choice is the Fender amp.
    I guess what I really want to know is, is the Fender Bassman 60 (rated at 60watts) going to be loud enough to hear over a drummer??
    How does this amp do for live events?
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Features are just icing on the cake. The most important thing about the combo is what tone do you get? This is the result of good components in the amp, a good cabinet design, and good speaker.

That is why the Fender costs more and why it is worth the price.
  12. Hi_Im_Mark

Mar 9, 2003 I've definitely decided against the Yorkville. Don't really like the way it sounds compared to the Fender and Behringer.

Now, I'm kinda torn between the Bassman 60 and the BX1200.
    I prefer the sound quality from the bigger cabinet of the Fender amp, but the Behringer is rated at double the power, has more features, and is slightly cheaper.
    I didn't get a chance to really crank up the gains on either amp, but a louder amp is always better, no?

13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have not played any of those amps, but generally a 60 watt combo is not loud enough to play with a drummer (unless he's a light hitter or using brushes). Live events outside of the living room? Probably not.

If you are looking to start playing w/ a drummer, chances are you'll find a guitarist soon, and then you'll really get drowned out.

For a beginner combo amp to jam w/ drums, I'd recommend something loud and reliable, like a used Peavey TNT. The Yorkville might be comparable. Behringer has been accused of over-rating their wattage.
  14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    In all honesty, I think you're going to run into trouble with getting heard over a drummer either way you cut it, with the 60-120w's. At least, if you're in a rock type situation.

I'd go with the Bassman, as it in all probability sounds much better.
  15. Save your money, get something big. Real big. Like hey girlie stand in front of my amp blow your clothes off big. God I need a joooob.
  16. Hi_Im_Mark

Mar 9, 2003
    I think I'm going to cry.
  17. Nothing like a good cry. I can make myself cry if I punch myself in the stomache enough times.
  18. Hi_Im_Mark

Mar 9, 2003
    Okay...whatever amp the next person replies with, I'm going to buy.
    Between the Bassman 60 and the BX1200.
  19. If thats the case bassman hands down. Heard it in school one and oooohh. God I wet myself.