1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Need Bass Cabinet and Head Info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natoa044, Jul 2, 2012.

1. natoa044

natoa044

Jul 2, 2012
    I am in a blues/Country band, looking to upgrade my rig. I have been searching for a few months. I have played around with pretty much everything out there and just have not found anything that really feels amazing. The direction I have heard to go is Mesa Boogie 4x10 with a 1x15, does anyone run this set up? if so can I get some feed back and what kind of head are you running with it? I am really looking for something that really carries a presense, good low end with a good high end and won't fall out at the top. Thanks!

2. I would read through some stickies and do a search about mixing cabs.

That said I would check out a Portaflex 350 or 500 and pair it with a pair of 115 cabs of your choice.

3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I wouldn't mix 4x10's and 1x15's.

4. Same style of music, I use an Orange TT and an SP212 with an OBC115. My second amp is a PJB BG800. Depends on the venue which rig I use, but both give me good tone.
    We play with pretty dominate bass, www.silverswitchband.com

5. Although seen in ads and on stages, the mixing of a 4X10 and a 1X15 is not a good one.

A 4X10 can put out lows just as good, if not better then a 1X15.

A single 15 only puts out about 1/2 of what a 4X10 can.

Mixing the two creates an imbalance of power between the two cabs, and *may* lead to other sound issues such as phasing/comb filtering.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to NOT mixing a 410 and a 115. Popular it is, but bad idea all the way. A mesa M6 Carbine paired with a pair of Powerhouse 212's would kill.

7. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Genz Streamliner 900 + 2 über 115s. Awesome tone with articulate detail and projection.