1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help, need efficiant power amp for svt610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman69, Apr 9, 2006.

1. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    I'm in the market for a new power amp, would like to know what the most efficaint amp for an ampeg svt 610 cab and avp-pro pre amp would be, the cab is 600 watt program and 1200 watt peak. would 700 watts be too much juice? Would using a plx 1602 be underpowering the cab? it is a 4 ohm cab.

thanks
    jerry

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    What does 'efficient' mean to you?

3. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    what i mean by efficent is matching the power amp wattage to the cabinet handling. the cabs power handling is 600 watts, should i get a power with a minimum of 600 watts at 4 ohms or should i get one with around 750 watts at 4 ohms. They you should run your rig at a wattage somewhere between the program handling and peak. Is this True?

4. The 600 watt program means you could run a 600 watt amp constant and those speakers will never break down. The 1200 watt peak means you can run 1200 watts for maybe the length of a performance.

700 watts shouldn't be a problem. You'd probably go deaf before you blow those speakers.

Do you just need a power amp? or did you mean a full head?

5. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    no, just a power amp, do you think the plx 1602 which is 500 at 4ohms would do the trick, or should i at least get an amp to match the minimum power handling.

6. You can go under the cabs power rating without harm. I have a SVT-410 HLF which is rated at 500 watts and I'm using a SVT-3 Pro head that pushes 450 watts.

The common misconception is that under-powering will damage the speakers. False. Using a small wattage amp and pushing it to clip is what hurts the speakers. You can use whatever you want, just make sure you don't turn it up so loud that it starts to distort.