Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, need groove/pocket!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jondog, Jun 2, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I recorded my last show w/ the mic right next to the bass amp, so I can hear everything I played. Overall it was a good show w/out too many mistakes. However, I need to work on my time and feel. I really drop the beat when I need to sing, so I'll practice that, but what else should I do to get better grooves going?

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    A lot of it is just feel and really can't be helped, just play your heart out. Playing with a metronome and with drum loops are good practice though. Drum loops are fun and can kinda simulate the real thing, but don't forget the fundamentals of a metronome without all that other stuff in between the beats...

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    slow things down, consider every beat to the 16th or smaller, consider what can be done in every beat(basically, play on that beat or don't)

be comfortable, I find, that if I am uncomfortable in a playing situation(like if I barely know the changes, or the song...etc.) it is much much harder to focus on the groove. But when I am playing a song that I know very well like "the chicken" grooving on it is much more fluent, and natural, and I feel I do a much better job.

I'd say being comfortable is the most important part of groove.

don't force it!

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks. I'm hoping not all of it is heart -- I'm starting to suspect that I *am* playing my heart out, it's just that my heart is white and kinda cheesy. I'm going to get some drum machine software soon. Another part of it may be getting used to our new drummer. It's only the 4th show w/ him. I am pretty comfortable up there and I do know the tunes. I've really gotta concentrate on holding notes for their full value.

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well when I say heart I didn't mean you can't do anything about it... It can be learned... Just like, don't get super tense as Robot said, get confortable, learn to break down the beats, when I said use the metronome, start with it clicking on every 8th or something like that, somewhere that you're comfortable, then cut that in half, and then cut that in half again, and again until, you're left with quarters, or sometimes even just a click at the half. And yea, just practice practice practice :D its not impossible, I don't know how to describe most of it... but to me its like heart/feel maybe I worded my response poorly? It also takes time to adjust to the drummer as you said, I've had to work with some terrible drummers who thought playing off beat for a few bars every song was cool and it threw me off pretty bad, but I did eventually readjust, and good thing it was only like 1 or 2 songs.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ontop of what Wrong said, Id like to add one more thing.

Listen to as many different funk, smooth jazz, and dance type stuff as possible. These 3 genres have tons of good grooves in them, by listening to them all, it will change the way you think a lil bit and help you to create new ideas.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm not polly :)

8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I think just recording yourself is a step in the right direction. Keep recording yourself in different situations and try different things. What I found in my own playing by recording it is that I never really "connected" the notes. The notes I was playing had lots of space I didn't want between them, they didn't flow enough. I found that playing melodies and trying to "sing" through my instrument helped alot. The bit about singing and playing at the same time is tough, too. That also just takes practice. Alot of people I know slow down/speed up when they have to sing and play at the same time.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I'll record this weekend too, and I'll think flow.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ahhh, the avatar man it threw me.

Didnt know she was into that stuff...thats hot...lol