1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP, NEED QUICK PRICE ASSESMENT ON An AMPEG B15N !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pfschim, Dec 12, 2006.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    :help:

I have been looking for an all tube rig in the past few months with little luck in the used gear market (eBay, craigslist) Today, a buddy of mine calls to say there is a very clean Ampeg B15N at a local shop.

I went down to see it, and sure enough there it is. A '74 B15N. It's a "church amp" and it is totally clean, no dings, bangs or scratches. Even the cover is pristine. It appears to be loaded with a JBL 15, not sure what model (D140 F ??). It has a 1/4 in speaker jack for the cab, not the larger XLR plug that I am familiar with, and there is no plexiglass AMPEG logo plate .. it doesn't appear to be missing or broken off, it's just not there.

Also wondering if it will be very giggable at 30watts.

Shop is asking $1000 firm. Looking around the web, I don't see prices quite that high. But, on the other hand it is totally clean inside and out and most units I see on the web either show or describe significant wear.

INPUT PLEASE !!

2. and bless Mr. Oliver for that. 1K seams brutal to me, butya gotta love em, they are dandy. Maybe 1K is what the market will dictate. Does it have the dolly?

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

3. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yes, it has the dolly, original manual and hang tags too. Any feel for whether it would be giggable with a 5 piece jazz/blues/latin band with a moderate touch drummer ??

4. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    It is only 30 watts.I love Ampeg but even I have a hard time seeing $1000.00 for a 30 watt amp.
    Yes they're cool.Yes,they sound good.
    I use to have a B-15n and it looked great and sounded good but I couldn't use it for anything.
    The studio ,sure but then I just ran through the board anyways.

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Were they still tube amps in '74? The solid state versions don't sound as good to me. I have a '65 (with tubes of course) and it is the best sounding amp I've played through. It is not loud enough for most gigging situations. Furthermore it is quite heavy (~100 pounds). If I wanted something small and tubey to gig with I'd get a V4-B and a whizzy. Much more portable.

6. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    think the b15N was strictly a tube amp up thru 1979. After that it was the MTI era and I don't really know anything about that.

7. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, I went to check it in person. Put my MIA Jazz deluxe through it and worked it for about 30 min. Sounded great, pretty much as I remember the one I used back in the late 70's.

and it was totally clean .. I mean pristine like it just came out of its original packaging. Amazing for a 30+ year old piece of gear !

But, as I also remember these amps, it was very underpowered and even for the moderate volume that I gig at, it would not cut it at all. I do not do any recording these days and could not justify a kilo-buck for a practice amp.

Thanks for the replies.

The great all tube amp search continues .....