Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Need recomendations for a NYC Jazz Club!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Jun 1, 2002.

1. I am going on a business trip to NYC June 5-7. I need to find a great jazz club with great players and atmosphere to take my team on Thursday night (June 6) from around 8-11pm. It would be great if they offered food, but what I really need is a great atmosphere with great jazz - nothing too far out as many on my team have never listened to much more than Smooth Jazz :rolleyes: ;)

I am wanting to demonstrate that a great team is like a great jazz band - everyone has their individual place and importance. Sometime one person takes the lead and all other are support and then it's another's responsibility. Ultimately, it's the music (or the goal) that matters, and the team gets it done - not just any one person.

Plus, it's a great excuse for me to hear some great jazz - it's been a while!!

Any recomendations??
    Jeff

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The Village Vanguard is my favorite jazz club in the world. Doesn't look like much, but the room sounds great, and *everybody* has played there. I dunno if they do food.

There's also the Blue Note, Birdland, Iridium, and Small's. I also like the Jazz Standard.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Another vote for the Village Vanguard, just checked out the Cedar Walton Quartet there about a week or so ago and they were awesome!

4. Does the Village Vanguard (and the other clubs mentioned) have bands every night? Would 8:00 be too early?

Jeff

5. Birdland is the only NYC jazz club I've been to, but I'd recommend it. I saw Dave Holland's quintet there and it was great. This was a Saturday night and they had two shows, 9pm and 11pm.
    I suppose if you only have one shot at it, though, go to the Village Vanguard, just for the history of the place.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cutting Room, Tonic.

Iridium Mondays has Les Paul. It's kind of a cheesy show, but the set usually features Frank Vignola (great player) as well as unannounced special guests.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What kind of acts come through Birdland these days?

8. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    During my recent trip to N.Y. I went to 3 jazz clubs. From what I've seen, the set starts usually at 8:00 or 9:00pm depending on the club, lasts for one hour, then there is a one hour break and the second set begins at 10:00 or 11:00.

I was disappointed by the birdland. The food was mediocre and it was horribly expensive. 12$ for a small bottle of mineral water ? Sounds like a huge rip-off to me.

The Village Vanguard is ok, you cannot eat there but you can sit for a drink. It's one of the oldest clubs and it's located in a cave. You can hear and feel the metro underneath ! Atmosphere is nice.

The blue note has the best sound system IMHO. Food was decent and not so expensive.

For all these clubs, reservations is recommended.

Of course the quality of the club is important but the main attraction is the featured artist so choose wisely.

Ari

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    If you're taking a group of people who are not necessarily jazz fans, the Blue Note is probably your best bet. This week it's Diane Schuur (she'll wow even the non-jazz fans), two shows nightly, 8:30 and 10:30, $30 ticket price (cover charge, really). The food is pretty good and average price for NYC (expensive...$8 for a beer for ex.). Unfortunately band members are not listed for the show...but with Diane they'll be serious players for sure. You'll find info and online reservations at http://www.bluenote.net/newyork. Good atmosphere, good sound, but don't expect much "elbow room"...they pack you in.

11. I would definitely check out the Vanguard. What a vibe! Go a little early so you can look at all the pictures of people who have played there. When I was there I saw Ron Carter!

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    $12 for a small bottle of mineral water is a rip-off, however in defense of Birdland, the real bargain is to not sit at the tables but on the other side of the bar near the window, you only pay the cover charge and don't even have to buy a drink. This is the option that I choose, since I'm there to just listen to the music anyway.

The other night I went over to The Knickerbocker Restaurant and saw Mulgrew Miller on piano and Peter Washington on bass for the price of a cup of coffee! The cool think about this experience was that I was able to stand right behind the players, 2 feet away, you could see the little beads of sweat popping off of Peter's head.

13. To all who provided suggestions - Thanks so much!

I went to the Village Vanguard last night and saw the Jacky Terrasson trio. Unbelievable! Great ambiance and sound and Jacky and the band were incredible. I was in the front no more than 8' from the piano. Wow!

Thanks again!
    Jeff