Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Need "rock-edged blues" ideas

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by millard, Jan 5, 2005.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    I had a long musical hiatus where I mostly played the stereo. I started back in with real intent about a year and a half ago and have been dragging around Craigslist to find opportunities to jam/play.

Despite setting low enough expectations that one of the respondents should have passed, he's called back twice to say 'the hell with it, come jam with us anyway'. A sentiment I appreciate.

My problem is that I've mostly been practicing classic rock and blues cover tunes. These guys are doing all original "rock edged blues" and I know the lead guy used to be a pretty serious glam/metal/LA Rock scene dude. I have very little idea what to actually do with my fingers when I show up.

If anyone is feeling generous enough to offer up grooves I can cop, I'd much appreciate it. Or even "here's a song that these guys will probably like" so that I can cop a groove from that (assuming I can find tab somewhere).

Oh, yeah, and the "audition" is tomorrow night...

TIA...Millard

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hi,

Did they mention any cover tunes for you to learn just so you can show up with something they can judge your playing ability?

Do they have any MP3 clips to send you of their material(with their old bass player) so you can have a clue what is going on?

Just wondering,

3. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    No and No. It was sort of weird. They didn't have anything written out (thank goodness I always travel with a clipboard, paper and writing implements). The guitarist said "just listen the first time". I play g****r some, so I watched the chord progression and wrote it down and clarified the number of repeats before the break.

On the second pass I just plunked roots, still watching his hands for the chord changes/timing. It was more rock than blues, so working the root with the occasional transition note will get you by. And look like you're having fun.

I think they were looking for two things in a bassist: someone who could catch on quickly since I don't think they plan to write stuff down if they can help it and someone who will show up reliably. I win on both counts. :)

Millard

4. LARUMBLE

LARUMBLE

Feb 11, 2005
    building rock basslines book :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hair Metal dudes seem to do blues after Hair flopped. The lead guitarist from "The Bulletboys" is from my mom's hometown (which is the smallest 'Andy Griffen Show' kinda town) and now he is usually playing with all the local bluesy acts. I'm surprised he was so widely accepted when he came back home, because hair seems to be the opposite of blues, at least in terms of subject matter. Even the ballads seem happy. It's so funny watching him try to do some of his hair metal manuevers on stage when the stage is far too small. :D

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh, and you know all those threads floating around in recordings about "Stoner Rock." Well, many argue that Stoner Rock is the heavy metal version of the blues. I don't know if it's your cup o' tea. But in my opinion the greatest "Rock Edged Blues" act of all time is probably Cream.

I don't like Blues due to the tradition of EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE I-IV-V. It is quite boring. In the cover band I was in a while back, out of 75 songs we did at least 15 of them had the same bassline, except maybe transposed to a different key. But Cream on the other hand, they managed to play the Blues without using I-IV-V to define it, and when they did, it was masked slightly by the superb playing of a Mr. Jack Bruce.

7. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Some blues-rock to look into:

Joe Bonamassa
    ZZ Top
    Candlebox
    Newer Kenny Wayne Shepard

Even stuff like Screaming Trees, Mad Season, and Temple of the Dog will give you some good ideas on playing bluesy rock--those bands mixed grunge, psychedelic, and blues.