help! need some opinions on SHAPE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockandroller, Aug 21, 2002.

1. 7D

23 vote(s)
  2. 8G

8 vote(s)
  3. 9

9 vote(s)
  4. NG-1

4 vote(s)
  5. NG-2

6 vote(s)
  6. NG-3

15 vote(s)
  7. NG-6

22 vote(s)
  8. NG-8

8 vote(s)
  9. 10-C

2 vote(s)
  10. 10-D

1 vote(s)
  11. 10-E

3 vote(s)
  12. 10-F

6 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I'm in the process of having a bass built for me. Its gonna be a bit eccentric (as all my basses are) but as its being done by a top-notch builder, I expect it will sound and play great when its done.

The problem is, I "designed-in" a limitation: it has to fit into a regular "stratocaster" molded flight case.

Consequently, its been a bit of a battle to come up with something balanced. Its "do-able" as a neck-through headless, and with a small enough body to fit in the "strat' footprint, but its looking wierder and wierder as i go along.

the construction of neck laminations is just getting underway, so i have a couple of weeks before the actual body design has to be submitted!

please have a look at my 'pre-production' corel drawings, and give me some advice as to what looks good, bad, or just plain UGLY! After banging out twenty different sketches I'm not very objective any more...

** The pics are exact scale drawings, but the hardware has just been 'blocked in' (grey squares representing the chrome parts), and the neck-laminations arent strictly accurate. But the finish (tiger-eye over quilted maple) is pretty close! The final thing will be 4-strings, fretted, ebony board.

ALL comments are graciously appreciated, as i dont want this to turn out as the next "Wishnevsky"!! :eek:

(apologies in advance for all the pics, but here they come...)

an early attempt - almost traditional! (curves are rough, but i abandoned this idea before finishing it)
  2. [​IMG]
    Version 9: slightly different...
  3. [​IMG]
    NG-1: choppin' that lower horn...
  4. [​IMG]
    NG-2: messing with the bottom cutaways
  5. [​IMG]
    NG-3: trying something a bit different!
  6. [​IMG]
    NG-6: lost the bottom cutaways, but found a lower horn
  7. [​IMG]
    NG-8: going for something a little "Celtic-Esque"
  8. [​IMG]
    10-C: "chicken leg" is the phrase that comes to mind here...
  9. [​IMG]
    10-D: thinning out the "handle" a bit...
  10. [​IMG]
    10-E: lost those bottom 'cutaways' again - sloppy curves on this one tho
  11. [​IMG]
    10-F : fixed the bottom curves, dropped the horn a tad... OK i'm outta ideas!
  12. ... there is something about the OUTLINE of this one that i like... (not sure

what tho!)

any suggestions?

please take the POLL at the top, THANKS!!
  13. I voted 7D and NG2. Those are the two I like. All the others are still nice, though. Good luck choosing and have fun!
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

15. Jazz Ad: thats a ROCKIN website!

is "woodSnake" some kind of "spalted" wood ?

cool guitars... :)
  16. incidentally, here is a pic of the "strat outline" i am constrained to, with the hardware set in to scale...

if anyone wants to sketch out their idea over top, and post it up here, please do...

(keeping in mind that the bass outline cant go outside of the 'strat' outline!)

the blank JPG file (also, i have the corel draw file (100K) available on request!)
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The woodsnake (bois serpent) is actually a west african wood specy. Those strange lines on it are lovely.
    My next bass will have a woodsnake top.
  18. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    I like 9 the best, but it does have a BATMAN vibe to it :D
  19. Jazz Ad: its new to me.. i was thinking of "SnakeWood" but thats a whole different thing (see attached pic)