HELP: need songs for audition

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mcmurphy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. mcmurphy

Sep 24, 2003
    I have an audition for a music degree at university coming up, and need two short, contrasting songs that I can play to show off my technique.

I already have one song - Bach's Two-Part Invention 4. Now I need something funky, slappy and slide-y that I can play on a four string. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of Stanley Clarke. If you have any suggestions, please give details of where I can find the song in any format.

2. Are you playing the invention w/ tapping? If so, you should post a recording of it. I'm working on that one too, would be cool to hear another interpretation.
  3. mcmurphy

Sep 24, 2003
    Yeah, mostly tapping. It's actually a lot easier when you tap it. The accompaniment is a recording I played on distorted wurlitzer organ, which is highly mad - I am a one man culture mulcher!
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Stanley's "Working Man" comes to mind....
  5. Oh... I thought you meant you were going to do both parts at once. Still cool though. And yep, most things by stanley clarke would be cool. I would keep away from the wooten style slap, show them you can work within a group and hold a groove.