1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP: need songs for audition

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mcmurphy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. mcmurphy

mcmurphy

Sep 24, 2003
    Australia
    I have an audition for a music degree at university coming up, and need two short, contrasting songs that I can play to show off my technique.

I already have one song - Bach's Two-Part Invention 4. Now I need something funky, slappy and slide-y that I can play on a four string. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of Stanley Clarke. If you have any suggestions, please give details of where I can find the song in any format.

Thanks.

2. Are you playing the invention w/ tapping? If so, you should post a recording of it. I'm working on that one too, would be cool to hear another interpretation.

3. mcmurphy

mcmurphy

Sep 24, 2003
    Australia
    Yeah, mostly tapping. It's actually a lot easier when you tap it. The accompaniment is a recording I played on distorted wurlitzer organ, which is highly mad - I am a one man culture mulcher!

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Stanley's "Working Man" comes to mind....

5. Oh... I thought you meant you were going to do both parts at once. Still cool though. And yep, most things by stanley clarke would be cool. I would keep away from the wooten style slap, show them you can work within a group and hold a groove.