Help, need this tone....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm customizing a bass, and I want to know what kind of pickup/pre combination gets this tone. I hate to admit it, but I have heard similar tones from some of the Ibanez models, although I believe these were recorded with a tobias. I am using a P/J combo bass, and wanted to know what kind of pre/pickup combo this sounds like, I am kinda clueless where to I turn it over to you pros! This is a short download (95.8kb).....thanks in advance!
  2. Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I'm not really sure what to say other than that it sounds like an inexpensive bass played with very dead or flatwound strings and a pick.

Honestly, I could probably get that tone just picking up a $200 Ibanez, turning the front pickup off a little, rolling the tone all the way to "dark" and using a pick.

I hope that helps . . . .
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Really? That's not what I was really expecting to hear. I don't have a lot of experiences with cheaper systems, but found that tone to be interesting.....seems to lie in the mix well, and could be useful in some situations.
  4. Sounds kinda Warwick Thumb to me, actually, with the pickups at center balance.
  5. Well I tracked down the site of the band... and the guy uses a Tobias. Looks like a Post Gibson toby. Its got one MM looking pickup on it.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'd believe that. Not much high-end, don't know if that's due to strings / tone knob / amp or not. Sounds like a bridge or sweetspot pickup to me though.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Jazz Bass and a compressor, that's how it sounds like to me.
  8. The pickup looked a bit higher than bridge, but not quite as high as the sweet spot. And it kind of looked like a larger Bart or EMG pickup, not quite musicman sized.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sounds like it could be a Spector, maybe a Warwick. Almost like the Warwick FNA that I had a while back. Reason I thought Warwick or Spector was because of the natural compressed sound they have.
  10. that description sounds like the Tobias Growler, which had a quad-coil Bartolini MM p/up.

the two halves of the p/up had separate bass+treble controls and a pan between them.
  11. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    It actually does osund liek an Ibanez...My Ibanez can get that sound at least. I could definitely believe it being an active dual coil soapbar or humbucker though.