1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help - Need to diagnose a problem with the sustain .

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Offbeats groove, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Offbeats groove

Offbeats groove

Sep 30, 2009
    Hey ..

I have an epiphone thunderbird for 2 years now , but recently I’ve noticed a problem with the sustained notes , whenever I hit ( for example ) the C note on the A string it doesn’t gives me the sustain it use to .. as it dies after a short time , it even doesn’t fade away .. it just dies as if I muted the string ..

I was using GHS boomers , and I thought the problem was with the strings so I changed them to D'addario .. but it didn’t work that well either ..

I just need to know what’s causing this and how can I solve it , is it the strings again or there’s something wrong with the pickups ?

Thanks

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Could be a crack in the body.
    Check the bass over top to bottom carefully.
    Make sure the bridge and nut is on tight.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe the pickups are adjusted too closely to the strings? the magnetic pull can deaden sustain if the pickups are too high (especially farther up the neck).