1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Need to sell a bass.. Just can't decide which one.. ARGH!!!!'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanBass, Jul 28, 2012.

1. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    So due to some financial life "issues" I need to sell a bass. Some of my lower priced basses I am ok with, but there are two that cost me more and I can't make up my mind on which one to part ways with..

Any .02 is welcome! (although I'd want more for the basses.. LOL) :D

First is my Fender Jazz Bass Plus.. Nice small body, maple neck, kubicki electronics.. MIA

Other is my Fender Geddy..

Both have a great sound and feel.. But not sure which one to part ways with... :(

Thoughts?!

2. Geddy's seem to be more popular and you might be able to sell that one easier, and possibly replace it easier when you're in a position to buy one back. Just a thought.

3. +1

4. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Except that the price of them have gone thru the roof! I would keep the one I play the best (best fit, most comfortable, etc.).

5. Put both up for sale and whichever sells first sells and keep the other.

6. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Haha.. Good point.

7. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Would probably be the Geddy - I love the Japanese glossy necks.. They are both awesome basses, but for me, probably the Geddy is the one I'd keep.

For now I say that.. Haha

8. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    I would prolly appreciate the Japanese over the mexi so I'd be inclined to say keep the geddy.

9. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    The jazz plus is a MIA.. Not MIM...

10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Perfect answer, if it really is a toss up just do this.

or

Flip a coin, blind fold yourself and have someone else mix them up and then play both.
    Let your conscience decide which is better.

11. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Letting the buyer decide without a deeper examination of your feelings, is a lousy strategy IME. I see tons of posts on TB every week, that reference seller's remorse.

Quite often, you have a clear favourite in this kind of situation, but over-thinking clouds the issue.

We're fickle creatures, and the next day you'll inevitably start to question your decision. Even if you actually sold the right bass, in your tortured imagination, the buyer will seem like an evil genius who realized what a gem the <insert name of bass here> really was.

Your reaction to having sold the "wrong" bass will start with mild self-doubt, and end with you living under a bridge after friends and family disown you. Two years later, you'll die from an accidental Listerine overdose...

A much better strategy, is to toss a coin. It's not the outcome of the coin toss that matters, it's what you feel while the coin is hanging in the air.
    - If you find yourself holding your breath, and hoping that it's not <insert name of bass
    here>, then you've got your answer.
    - If you find yourself not giving a hoot which side lands up, then repeat the experiment
    a couple of times to make sure.

Either way, you can make your sales decision, secure in the knowledge that you're protected from emotional fallout.

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    The Geddy will probably get you more cash.

13. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Steve makes some good points. I've been in the remorseful position before, so before you sell either instrument, be sure that you don't have another option.

Absent that I'd keep the one that is easiest to play.

14. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I am trying like hell to keep em both. :)