1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help-Need tuner advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Mar 30, 2013.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Hey all!

In rescuing the infamous Gibson 20/20 bass last year, as you know, one tuner had issues. I can still tune it to pitch using an adjustable wrench, but it needs to be replaced.

Before I pull the tuner and send it back to Sperzel, is there anyone here who has experience with these tuners, or who rebuilds tuners?

This one is making me cry, because I fear that Sperzel cannot make me another or a se and that there will not be a tuner that can drop in. Now this bass is a player, so putting other tuners in wouldn't kill me, but I'd really like to try to maintain the integrity.

HHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

There is only one model of Sperzel bass tuner and it's the only one they have produced for years. It is different from what Gibson used on the 20/20.
    So yeah getting your replacement may be difficult.

3. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    What's wrong with it? If it is just the cog inside is worn you might be able to take it apart and just replace the cog... that part might be generic...

I've fixed many a rare tuner like this - not a 2020 mind you...

4. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    No the button wont stay screwed on and the stem and gear/screw actually will pull all the way out.
    Guess it is going back to Sperzel...