Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help needed Bartolini NTBT + Warwick Corvette = Hum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cheeseman, Mar 13, 2003.

1. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I bought a Bartolini NTBT active preamp to switch my Warwick Corvette standard from passive to active. I took it into the shop and it's taken about two weeks before the tech could get to it, as he is the only one at the store with experience with the Bartolini preamp. Well he finally got to it, but he called me today and told me he was picking up a hum and didn't know where it was coming from. I asked him if it was possibly the room, as I've had experiences with noise in certain rooms, but he didn't think so. I think the pickups are Dynamic Correction, but I can't quite remember as it's been away for so long. I did a search and the closest thing to my problem's advice was that the dynamic correction hum was being amplified by the active preamp. I was thinking of upgrading to EMG J/J set, but am not sure if this will solve the problem, or amplify it.

I'm sorry if this post is all jumbled, but I'm a little distraught as my Sansamp also crapped out recently so I have to send it to Tech 21 for service, and my band was going to try to record.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    :bawl: :mad:

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you do switch to EMG's that should solve the hum problem and they sound way better (IMO) than Warwicks own-brand pickups. I have EMG's on my Warwick and I think they're a fantastic combination.

Alex

3. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Are you using the EMGs with a preamp? I was thinking about doing it, just because if there's something wrong with the preamp, at least I'll still have EMGs for the active boost.

4. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    OK, I bought and had an EMG J set installed, and the hum went away. Damn single coil pickups had me scared. My control cavity is extremely tight now, but at least I'm happy with the sound.