Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help needed: Beginner's metal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIN., Jul 29, 2005.

1. SIN.

SIN.

Jul 29, 2005
    Glad to join the forum. I'm looking to get a passive 4-string bass guitar in the heavy metal area. My limit is $350. So far, the ones I've seen and liked have been too pricy and I don't like the generic Ibanez SG's.

Any suggestins ?
    thanks.

2. ESP F-104? Here But, It's active...

B.C. Rich Warlock? Here (Passive?)

Here are two Deans... 1 2

Don't know if you want a metal "look" but there are also some classic designs at RondoMusic.net

3. Welcome to TB, Sin ;)

Maybe an SX P bass?

4. SIN.

SIN.

Jul 29, 2005
    The "metal" look doesn't really matter, comfort does. That warlock sure looks pointy.

5. P-bass or copies are quite metal IMHO. BC Rich basses are POS.

6. That can't be said for the American made ones though...

7. SIN.

SIN.

Jul 29, 2005
    Sorry, what's a P-Bass ?

8. P-Bass is the general name for a bass with a single P (precision) pickup. Notice the two basses below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Are you averse to buying used? You can usually get good deals on stuff if you buy used. $350- $400 may get you a used Carvin and you can't get a much better deal than that. Carvins are excellent instruments, but don't hold their resale value all that well, hence they're steals on the used market.

If not used, how about a Spector Performer? Spectors are consistently good across the board and the Performer is passive.

Or maybe one of the new Yamaha BB's. The 414 is passive and I've yet to hear anything bad about those basses. My housemate has a Yamaha bass and it's quite nice.

In terms of "metal" basses, metal artists use a wide variety of basses from basic Fender P & J basses to custom exotics.
    A local metal band I like (Ripped Imprints) has a skilled bassist who uses a Brice HXB405 5-string tuned in A, and it sounds awesome. (Brice and SX can be found at http://www.rondomusic.net)

Still, I think a metal bass sound is as much in the amp as the bass. If I were playing metal, I'd want a Gallien-Krueger amp.

10. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Careful with that question here Sin :bag: LOL!

A P-bass is a Fender Precision bass, in metal terms the same bass used by Steve Harris or Iron Maiden and many others.

Are you going for the nu-metal sound or something more old-school?

Shawn

11. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    I use an ESP B205FM for metal, and it works great
    It's active though
    I know the G&L Tributes can do either passive or active
    Music Man SUBS are passive (X01, X03)
    How would these sound in metal?

//EDIT: didn't see your price range, sorry

12. SIN.

SIN.

Jul 29, 2005
    I'm not too fond of the nu-metal thing. They're just too weird for me :D . I enjoy the late 80's/early 90's heavy/thrash metal sound.

I've been looking on e-bay and there's many for sale but It's like buying a pair of shoes over the net. Most likely they won't fit.

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    When buying used from a private owner, either through Ebay or the TalkBass classifieds, I'd try looking for a seller who doesn't live too far from you so you can visit him/her and try out the instrument. I generally don't like to get instruments sight unseen, unless it's a custom job by Carey Nordstrand, Pete Skjold, Bud LeCompte, or whoever since, well, those guys live rather far from me and it's not like I can visit their shops during a lunch break.

With nu-metal, the big thing is drop tuning ridiculously (like drop C, drop A, or even drop G# and few cheap basses can go that low without sounding like a farty, woofy mess. With good ol' fashioned thrash, it's mostly tuned standard, E-flat, or drop-D at the lowest. (Listen to 80s era Slayer in comparison to "God Hates Us All." I believe it's E-flat tuning versus drop-A and GHUA sounds rather clunky to me.)

Good luck on the bass hunt. If it were me, I'd go with a 2 pickup bass (like a Jazz bass or one with a P-J configuration) so you get more tonal options.