1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Needed: Changing Pick-ups on a Yamaha RBX270

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by _P_I_P_, Aug 19, 2005.

1. _P_I_P_

_P_I_P_

Dec 2, 2004
    Hey

Im wanting to change the pick-ups on a yamaha RBX 270. And i was wondering what type of pickups to get,to get the best sound out of it, and whther itll be worth it for the money ill end up spending. I dont wanna be chipping away at the body either.
    Any help wud be most appreciated
    Thanks

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    One thing that is a little strange about yamaha is how they seem to use no traditional shapes for pickups. From what I remember about the 270 it has a P-bass style. Are you sure any regular p-bass pickup won't fit in there? If it's not good fit, maybe you could use a trim ring.

As for which pickups, I like EMG, but for the actives you would have to have a battery compartment, and the 270 is a passive bass. Maybe you could use bartolinis or Dimarzio.

3. Are you sure about this?? I have a yamaha, i think its a discontinued series, its a ERB070, its like the rbx170 but with no j pickup, i am thinking about replacing the pickups too.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  5. _P_I_P_

_P_I_P_

Dec 2, 2004
    ok guys, thanks for your help!

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I have an RBX270F (fretless) and had no trouble dropping in a DiMarzio
    Split-P (DP127) and Ultra-Jazz bridge (DP148), i.e., no chiselling necessary

I would think there'd be no trouble either with a DiMarzio DP126 (Model P + J set)

7. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Hi, I know this is a real old thread, but I also have an RBX270 and was thinking of putting a Dimarzio P/J set in there.

Just wondering, did you keep the same control layout (mv, blend, tone) when you changed the PUPs? (I was thinking of going V V T instead)

How big a tone difference did the Dimarzios make to your RBX270? A Dimarzio P/J set over here is over half the cost of the bass . . . thanks for any input :)

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Actually, I had it really stripped-down as far as controls.
    IIRC, master tone and an on-off switch :p . I came up with a
    way to wire a 4PDT (on/on/on) switch so I could get P, J, P+J
    in series. Then there'd be a tone for each pickup. I haven't
    had a chance to try it yet, though :crying:

The stock Yamaha pickups aren't that bad, just a little "thin"
    sounding (IMO). I already had a Split-P in a rbx260f and a set
    of Ultra-J's in a bbn4f, so I knew they made the tone much more
    "full" -- a lot more bass or "oomph". Tell the truth, once I got
    the wiring figured out for 4PDT switch, I got the parts (switch,
    new pots, etc.) and a Seymour Duncan P Bass "hot" and
    J Bass "hot stack" to try out. Again, thanks to my job :mad: ,
    I've not had a chance to sit down and wire it all up

where's "over here" ? :) I'm guessin' UK, Europe ?

Maybe check the "DEALERS" link at http://dimarzio.com/ ?

9. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Hi, thanks for your reply - yes, I'm in the UK. I looked at ordering Dimarzios fro the US, but by the time you add in customs & tax stuff, there's not a lot of difference (about 7 dollars).

I agree the Yammy pups are a little on the thin side, that's
    why I was thinking of changing them. I've always disliked the control setup (mine also has a noisy tone pot), so maybe I'll start by replacing the pots and jack, going V V T and see how I like it before changing the pups.

It's such a good bass for the money though, I keep trying more expensive ones and being disappointed! I may well get a fretless RBX270 too at some point :)

10. The RBX series basses have a mid-hi bright sound. Nice pop sound.
    Barts should balance the guitar up with a warmer tone.
    EMGs quite neutral/clinical/sterile.
    DiMarzio will make it too glassy.

11. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    I dropped some dimarzios on that exact same bass, and the result was awesome. (DP126 P+J set, I think it was)

I say get the dimarzios - the set goes for about US$90 at musician's fiend and the sound kicks major ass.