Help Needed: Changing Pick-ups on a Yamaha RBX270

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by _P_I_P_, Aug 19, 2005.

1. _P_I_P_

Dec 2, 2004

Im wanting to change the pick-ups on a yamaha RBX 270. And i was wondering what type of pickups to get,to get the best sound out of it, and whther itll be worth it for the money ill end up spending. I dont wanna be chipping away at the body either.
    Any help wud be most appreciated
  2. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    One thing that is a little strange about yamaha is how they seem to use no traditional shapes for pickups. From what I remember about the 270 it has a P-bass style. Are you sure any regular p-bass pickup won't fit in there? If it's not good fit, maybe you could use a trim ring.

As for which pickups, I like EMG, but for the actives you would have to have a battery compartment, and the 270 is a passive bass. Maybe you could use bartolinis or Dimarzio.
  3. Are you sure about this?? I have a yamaha, i think its a discontinued series, its a ERB070, its like the rbx170 but with no j pickup, i am thinking about replacing the pickups too.
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  5. _P_I_P_

Dec 2, 2004
    ok guys, thanks for your help!
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I have an RBX270F (fretless) and had no trouble dropping in a DiMarzio
    Split-P (DP127) and Ultra-Jazz bridge (DP148), i.e., no chiselling necessary

I would think there'd be no trouble either with a DiMarzio DP126 (Model P + J set)
  7. floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Hi, I know this is a real old thread, but I also have an RBX270 and was thinking of putting a Dimarzio P/J set in there.

Just wondering, did you keep the same control layout (mv, blend, tone) when you changed the PUPs? (I was thinking of going V V T instead)

How big a tone difference did the Dimarzios make to your RBX270? A Dimarzio P/J set over here is over half the cost of the bass . . . thanks for any input :)
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Actually, I had it really stripped-down as far as controls.
    IIRC, master tone and an on-off switch :p . I came up with a
    way to wire a 4PDT (on/on/on) switch so I could get P, J, P+J
    in series. Then there'd be a tone for each pickup. I haven't
    had a chance to try it yet, though :crying:

The stock Yamaha pickups aren't that bad, just a little "thin"
    sounding (IMO). I already had a Split-P in a rbx260f and a set
    of Ultra-J's in a bbn4f, so I knew they made the tone much more
    "full" -- a lot more bass or "oomph". Tell the truth, once I got
    the wiring figured out for 4PDT switch, I got the parts (switch,
    new pots, etc.) and a Seymour Duncan P Bass "hot" and
    J Bass "hot stack" to try out. Again, thanks to my job :mad: ,
    I've not had a chance to sit down and wire it all up

where's "over here" ? :) I'm guessin' UK, Europe ?

Maybe check the "DEALERS" link at ?
  9. floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Hi, thanks for your reply - yes, I'm in the UK. I looked at ordering Dimarzios fro the US, but by the time you add in customs & tax stuff, there's not a lot of difference (about 7 dollars).

I agree the Yammy pups are a little on the thin side, that's
    why I was thinking of changing them. I've always disliked the control setup (mine also has a noisy tone pot), so maybe I'll start by replacing the pots and jack, going V V T and see how I like it before changing the pups.

It's such a good bass for the money though, I keep trying more expensive ones and being disappointed! I may well get a fretless RBX270 too at some point :)
  10. The RBX series basses have a mid-hi bright sound. Nice pop sound.
    Barts should balance the guitar up with a warmer tone.
    EMGs quite neutral/clinical/sterile.
    DiMarzio will make it too glassy.
  11. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    I dropped some dimarzios on that exact same bass, and the result was awesome. (DP126 P+J set, I think it was)

I say get the dimarzios - the set goes for about US$90 at musician's fiend and the sound kicks major ass.