1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed choosing new pups for Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Newget, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Hello I have the Marcus Miller sig. jazz bass by Fender, I really dig this bass but the pups are noisy. I would like to swap and have never done so to a bass so I'm looking for recomendations on what pups to get. Ideally I would possibley like a high output bridge pup(I may not know what I'm talking about here) I generally use the bridge pup and keep the neck rolled way back. I love the snarling nasal sound of the bridge but it lacks the bottom fullnes a bass needs. The neck has too much hollow bottom so I don't use it to fill the emptiness, instead I jack up the bass on the amp but smoked a speaker from doing this.

Noise is also a factor, although it isn't painfully noisey, I would like to eliminate it. Is there a pup like seymour duncan has for single coil guitar that eliminates hum, alnico I think is what its called? Thanx for your input. Again I would like a pup for the bridge that enhances that bridge sound and warms up the bottom, and whatever would be a good match for the neck.
    Thanx

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I'd say try some Nordstrands NJ4SEs, I have some in my 60's classic jazz and love it. Excellent product, great customer service. Swing for them if you can.

3. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    bump

4. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I have Seymour Duncan SJB-3's in my bass. Sounds a lot more full and bassy.

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    You have two possible solutions....
    Shielding- I completely shielded my Marcus Miller, and that significantly reduced hum. If you want to keep true single coil tone, this is all you can do. But, due to the nature of single coils, if you favor one pickup or the other, you will get 60-cycle hum. There is absolutely no avoiding this without switching to a humbucking pickup, only minimizing it with shielding.

Humbucking Pickups- These cancel 60 cycly hum. They have tons of different sounds, but none nail the true single coil tone, so if that's what you are after these are probably not for you. These do NOT prevent the need for shielding the bass, however, as your electronics can still pick up hum independantly of the pickups.

So, if the problem is your bass is humming all the time, even when both pickups are on full, or it hums unless you are touching a metal part, shielding is needed.

Then, it's up to you to decide whether you can deal with the single coil hum when you favor one pickup or the other. This is just a matter of taste.

FWIW, i completely shielded my MM, and run Aero single coil pickups in it. Still hums when i favor one pickup or the other, but no noise otherwise, and it sounds tasty.

6. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    picked up a MM Jazz at a pawn show in near new condition. past owner (left his receipt in the bag) had some Lindy Fralin Jazz pups put in it. I guess that kinda defeats the whole "sig" thing, but they sound excellent!