Help needed - effects chain order!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakeman, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    After literally hours of searching and reading through the forums, I'm still a tiny bit lost on building my effects chain - it's quite a juggle. I could use any help anyone is willing to give! Here's what I'm working with...

EHX Q-Tron
    EBS Octabass
    Fulltone OCD
    WH Swollen Pickle
    ProCo Rat
    Boss Bass Chorus

I've also got a PreSonus BlueMax compressor, a PreSonus ACP-22, and a BassBone. I have no idea what to do with these, especially compression. I'd like to experiment with compression, but not sure where to place it. I'd like to eliminate as much noise as possible while maintaining my high-gain, picked tone...

2. The order you've listed 'em looks good to me.

I'd put the BassBone last to send everything to FOH. I'd stick the comp near the front of the chain, to keep things quiet – comps tend to bring out any noise in a chain when placed last – but I'd put the comp after the QTron and ACP22 set as a gate dead last. If you're using more than one bass or the BassBone as a sort of Pre, then at the front of the chain it goes.

EHX Q-Tron : first to react to the raw signal from the bass
    PreSonus BlueMax compressor : to tame the Q-tron and to help the Octabass get a good signal to track
    EBS Octabass :
    Fulltone OCD : try this after the other dirt
    WH Swollen Pickle
    ProCo Rat : try this before the pickle
    Boss Bass Chorus
    PreSonus ACP-22
    BassBone

Of course, you could stick all the other effects in the BassBone's loop. NOT sure about your PreSonus stuff, it may be line level, in which case I suspect it's not going to sit pretty with the other stuff. Somebody with rack gear experience should be able to help with that stuff.

Experiment and try the dirt in different orders.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Jakeman and RickyWoo like this.
  3. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    I think your order looks good.

I agree with @Feral Feline. Put your distortion before your fuzz.

Jakeman likes this.
  4. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    What matters is what order works best for what you hear in your head.

My advice is to take time to experiment. Move things around. See what works best for you. Nobody plays like you or wants the same things as you.

General advice on a forum is good, but you just have to experiment.

Hope this helps.

Jakeman likes this.