1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Needed For 2 Volume No Tone, No Switch Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Meatrus, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Sorry to ask such a basic question, I cant find a diagram and cant seem to get it to work by altering other diagrams. All I need to know is how to wire 2 pickups to two volumes, so each pickup has its own volume control, like a jazz bass but with no tone. I have wired it like this http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/blackouts_1v_1t.pdf but with the second pickup wired just the same as the first to the second pot. What I'm getting is the neck volume acting like a master volume for both pickups, and the bridge volume not doing anything. What stupid mistake am I making?

Thanks!

2. When there is only one volume pot, the wiper terminal is wired to vary output impedance. You can't do that with two volumes, however, because then you don't get independent control, so the wipers must vary input impedance against the pickups.

All you have to do is take a standard Jazz bass wiring diagram and omit the tone pot.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    You picked a wiring with one value and one tone, and if you dropped the tone cap, the pot won't do anything. Use a standard jazz wiring and ignore the tone pot and wires that connect to it.

And line6man beat me to it. :p

4. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Thanks, but you lost me on the first bit. I think I tried it as jazz bass wiring earlier but that had the same result, maybe I got it wrong. If I try again does the hot output go from the end lug? What is making the neck pot act as a master? I thought both the end and middle lugs do the same job.

Thanks again and sorry for being thick!

5. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Done :D. I wired it as a jazz bass as suggested, must have done something wrong the first time I tried it.

Thank you both.

6. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I was wrong :(. Just strung it up (was tap testing yesterday) and now the bridge pot is acting as a master, the neck pot does work, but only when the bridge is on. So you cant have the neck solo'd. I have followed the jazz bass diagram exactly now I'm sure, but this is happening for some reason. Any idea which connection is causing this? No doubt its me being an idiot.

Edit: It was all me, fixed it now, I had the hot lead from the jack connected to the middle lug instead of end, at least I know what it was now.

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, it certainly COULD be due to the fact that they are active pickups (active pickups may not like the outputs shorted as a Jazz circuit does), BUT Seymour Duncan themselves show it wired this way;

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=active_jazz_bass

The active soapbar is shown exactly the same:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=active_soapbar

So I'd double check wiring against the Seymour Duncan diagrams and if you've wired it right, I'd email them about why you are having problems.

Technically in this wiring when both pots are turned down, the pot presents it's full resistance to the jack. Hence they can't control the output acting as a "master". To do that, they'd have to short the jack output when turned down. Personally I'd look closely at that pot acting like a "master". I suspect you have a pair of wires reversed going to it.

8. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    well I did it to my SX J

[​IMG]

500k/250k V/V wiring

what I remember is I just followed the SD Jazz bass wiring diagram and soldered the tip to the leftmost 'tongue' of the bridge pot and soldered the sleeve to the top of the bridge pot.

I'll confirm this tomorrow when I open up the control plate.

std_jazz_bass.