Help needed for choosing a guitar amp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Twistad, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Yes, i said guitar.

My guitarist has broken his marshall 60 watts and is looking for a new, better amp.

He wants something aroung 650-750$, be it a combo or cab + head.

Any suggestions is good
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Fix the Marshall. It's not a bad brand, and if it is a tube unit, they are typically straightforward to fix.
  3. He also wants something more powerful, the 60 watts is getting too feeble for us, which is another reason why he wants another one.
  4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Wow, there are only about 150,000 different makes and models in that price range! What sound is he looking for? Classic Marshall? Classic Fender? Classic Vox? Classic Peavey? Classic Mesa Boogie?

All I can tell you is that my son plays lead guitar and he just bought a Vox AD60VT, the older one with the open back and the Alnico speaker, not the newer one with the closed back and the Neo speaker. It's a modeling amp with a real tube for legitimate crunch. He loves it.
  5. He doesn't know much about brands, but something very versatile would be great.

Basically, he's looking at an amp which will be able to cover lots of styles. Also, he specified that he didn't want a tube amp.
  6. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Vox also makes a twin-speaker, 120 watt version of the same amp - the AD120VT. I'm sure you can pick one up on eBay for about the price he's looking to spend.
  7. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Those Vox amps model everything, so they're incredibly versatile. They are really solid state amps, with just a single low-power 12AX7 tube in the front end to provide some real tube distortion. The tube doesn't do any of the heavy lifting, amplification-wise. I've never seen anyone burn out a 12AX7 preamp tube.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my recomendation too... but the kid wants Solid State.
  9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Does not want an all-tube amp? Or no tubes at all?

The Vox Valvetronix combos are a great amp to check out. My band's guitarist used one for 2 years or so until it was stolen. It's the only amp that isn't all-tube that he swears by.
  10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If so, then get ready for buying a more powerful amp yourself soon :meh:
  11. Ah, i missed that part, pity !
  12. don't buy a solid state! for a guitar amp all tube man!

i'm a guitar player too.

the new marshalls are crap, he wants a marshall go an old 2nd hand jcm800 or even 900

i'd recommend a 2nd hand mesa boogie, they are just mainly fenders hot rodded. they seem to be the amp to get these days
  13. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Randall Warhead is a pretty sick head. If you are into the high-gain chest thumping sound.
  14. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The Vox valvetronix line is very good and very versatile, I like it better than line 6 and the like. Ideally I'd get a Vox head then run it with a matching 2x12 cab. Combo's can be quite limiting, but may fit the price range better.

Too bad he's not looking for a tube amp especially for guitar. IMO their sound can't be replicated and they sound great. There's a reason guitar player's have been more weary of solidstate than most bassists (with an big emphasis on MOST).

15. My favorite guitar amps hands down.
  16. schecterbassx04

Feb 7, 2006
    haha for that price im gonna with a line 6 Spider II
    lol i kno. i kno.
    so many ppl dont like it, but i rly dont mind the sound that much. and u dont have to spend money on pedals and such.
  17. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I'm a huge fan of the Peavey Classics, Crate Palomino's, Fender Blues Jr's for tube combos, but if you really must go solid state, Vox Valvetronix is the way to go. Sounds good, and quality onboard effects as well. No nonsense.
  18. They are pricey tho, i cant believe i could have had one of them at less than half the price they go for second hand, my peavey classic 30 (second hand also) cost more than the guy was asking for it :'( , damn hesitation!

However, was still taken aback by how nice the classic series sounded!

+1 for JCM800's if he goes for tubes in the end, make sure its an original one, the reissue ones arent the same

- Will