Help needed for choosing strings with a very tight feel.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hipnotic, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what strings have a very tight feel. I tune down from E-A-D-G to C-G-C-F in the band I will be playing with and I want to get rid of the floppy feel when tuned down that low. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I recently used a set of Rotosound Jazz flats that were too tight for's hard to know what's tight for you though.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Other than suggesting the bottom 4 of a 5 string set, I'll give my vote to EB Power Slinkies. (55-75-90-110) They feel great tuned down, for a set meant for 4 stringers.

They're cheap enough, so it's worth a shot.
  4. Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    Thanks for the reply. I've seen people mention Rotosound when talking about high tension strings. I'll probably give those a shot.

I generally like the feel of GHS Bass boomers 45-100 for example, tuned to standard E tuning. I just got a Warwick Streamer Stage 2 and the stock Warwick 45-105 strings felt good tuned to standard E tuning.

Something that will bring that same feel when tuned down to cgcf. I've even seen some people mention using a light gauge B string and tuning it up a 1/2 step to C.

Anyone have any other ideas for strings to use when tuning to cgcf? I'd prefer Nickel if possible.
  5. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Weird, I'm looking for the same thing !
    I our band i tune CGCF, so i have the same problems :D
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I use DR's , highbeems and lo riders (ss), they have great tension and I play C to standard tuning on the same bass with no problems. You get some soft nickels and they get floppy on you when detuning.
  7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    foderas have a very high tension. They make lo riders seem like smooth butter.
    Well, maybe thats because lo riders are like smooth butter all on their own.
  8. Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    RotoSound RS-77 flats
  9. Steve Harris signiture(sp.)?? :eyebrow:
  10. Yaw

Feb 5, 2004
    Have to disagree.
    But maybe that's because I never tried Foderas.
  11. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    for my Ibanez, I use DR Hi-Beams... I can tune down to ADGCF and it still has great tension.
  12. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Fender flats are pretty tight.