Help needed for passive wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FingerFunkinGd, Mar 21, 2011.

1. FingerFunkinGd

FingerFunkinGd

Jan 16, 2008
    Hi Fellow bassists,

I have a yamaha bb414 which i am trying to rewire some of the electronics.

Originally it has a master volume, master tone and 3 way pick up selector switch.

Currently i want to rewire the layout to Volume for the neck pup, volume for the bridge pup and master tone. But the wires are confusing me.

I have already bought the extra pots needed. Could someone enlighten me with a diagram of sorts on how to go about doing it ?

Thank you so much for your time !

2. FingerFunkinGd

FingerFunkinGd

Jan 16, 2008
    Yeah ! thanks !, hmm, dont i need an earth wire to the jack ?

3. I've found the Seymour Duncan diagrams very helpful and easy to read. Scroll down to the bass pickup section and select standard jazz diagram.

Wiring Diagrams - Seymour Duncan

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Jazz's have metal control plate so the components ground to the plate. Although a ground wire would be good in case the jack comes loose in the middle of a gig and ground starts popping in and out. I would jump a ground wire across all components. Dual redundancy.

5. +1, I was just closing down my computer, saw the diagram, and realized the jazz uses the plate as a ground; so I came back to make the same suggestion.

6. FingerFunkinGd

FingerFunkinGd

Jan 16, 2008
    All right thanks for the clarification guys. And thanks for the diagrams ! will try it out tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted. Once again, thanks for the help !

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Doh, I wasn't familiar with the BB414, no metal plate. Anyhoo that is a nice lookin bass... I think I may have GAS, how do you like it?

8. FingerFunkinGd

FingerFunkinGd

Jan 16, 2008
    Well it was my first bass that i ever got and it started off my journey of the low-end. :hyper:

Over time i have come to own a few basses, namely a, epiphone jack cassidy, yamaha attitude fretless convert, fender jazz standard MIM and a MIJ 62RI Fender Pbass.

So my opinion of the bb414 would be in comparison to these basses. The bb414 is a slim and confortable bass to play. The neck has a smooth satin finish and a relatively "fast neck". Its definitely less chunky then a Pbass and thinner then a jazz neck (i'm refering to the C-curve of the neck). Of course the nut width is similar to a jazz neck.

Tonal options are plenty with a P/J setup. From soloing the P-pup to get that warm and full body tone or the growly bite from soloing the jazz pup.

However, in my opinion the stock pups are TERRIBLE ! their thin and lack the "oohhmmpp". But i have retrofitted my stock Fender Pbass pups and a dimarzo jazz pup. And this baby sings ! if i am not wrong the body is made from Alder and has great tonal potential. Just dump the stock pups.
    (but this is my opinion and others may disagree)

Plus aesthetically its a beauty. Red-wine colour, matching headstock and oval pearl inlays. Awesome.. P