Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help needed from the Cab Kings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwreid, Jul 8, 2005.

1. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Okay, I've been pointed towards Epifani as a good lightweight cab to replace my 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 Trace cabs. Thank you. I've also read a bunch of info about neodymium speakers, the good the bad and yes, the ugly. I've just snagged an Aguilar 359 from the bay and looking forward to receiving that. So, my questions is aimed at you guys who have or had a ton of cab's and can (subjectively) compare the UL Epifani with "real" cabinets. How do you think they compare purely on the sound and feel level? Thanks in advance.

2. Hello and great questions. To me, there are no negatives that I can see with neo magnets at all. I've been totally pounding my Epifani410UL with 1200 watts in very harsh conditions (i.e., funk gigs where I'm slapping with no PA backup at loud volumes, etc.) for over a year now... absolutely no problems.

Since I've owned the Epi 'regular' cabs and the UL's, I actually think there is quite a big difference in the sound... with the originals being a little more 'bottom heavy' and the current UL line having much more upper mid definition. However, I know Nick changed his crossovers between the time I bought my NYC's and the UL's, so that is what I might be hearing.

So, I'm not really sure you should think of it as a 'neo' sound... just if you like the sound of the EpifaniUL's.

To put this in context, I like a very crisp, articulate sound and play with relatively agressive basses (MTD and Celinder primarily) and like a 'new round wound' sound. The Epi is wonderful for that.

If I read your post correctly, you are going to be driving the Epi with an all tube Aggie.... if that's correct, maybe Tom Bowlus can chime in.... I'm not sure that's the best match up, since the EpiUL line is pretty 'modern' sounding and crisp and clean... so I don't know if it is a good match for all that tube warmth, etc. The UL line sounds GREAT with the Thunderfunk and the Walter Woods, along with most other heads I've tried... but I've never done a full tube amp with it.

Finally (!)... if you are thinking about the 210UL, I would definitely 'trade up' to the 310UL... it's only a little bit bigger and slightly heavier and puts out MUCH more sound. There is a 'problem' with the 5.3 ohms if you are going to double up with another cab... so watch out for that. Whew... OK that's it... good luck!

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ken pretty much nailed my thoughts as well. I will say that with my DB 359, I really love the sound of my Bergantino HT210 and HT115. The Accugroove Whappo, Jr. also sounds phenomenal, and of course the NV215 just whomps with any tube amp (and it has a surprising level of clarity and articulation).

The 359 is a tone machine, but it doesn't get terribly loud, so a relatively efficient cab would be a good bet.

If you like the open, airy, woody tones, then the Epi UL series cabs seem to deliver. I just heard a T-310UL up at LDS on Wednesday, and it sounded great with my Walter Woods Ultra. According to KJung, the T-410UL is all that and a slice of cheese.

If you want a more midrange present sound, but still desire a high degree of clarity, I'd look to Bergantino cabs.

If you want a really full, thick, rich sound - but with good articulation - then Accugroove is da bomb.

Tom.

4. I don't know much about tube amps... but I assume a 5.3 ohm load is not a good thing for a tube amp, so the 310 might not be an option.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm sorry that I neglected that part of your comments. In general, I agree with you. However, my understanding is that most tube amps are fairly forgiving if your ohm load is within spitting distance of one of their settings. You could probably get by just fine on the 4 ohm setting. But you are corret, in an ideal world, they would have used 24 ohm drivers and made it a 4 ohm cab. :p

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    BTW, Jim B. did just this in his HT310.

7. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    That's very helpful guys. Thanks. I get the impression though that you still prefer the sound of the heavier cabs. The Accugrooves you mention are not lightweights. To be honest I suspect I do too and will likely sacrifice some tone for weight. I recon any of the Whappo's would suite my ears but not my back. If I am to accomplish a lighter rig (A pretty funny statement having just bought an Aggie 359!!!) with Accugroove I guess I'd be looking at the Tri110L and the Tri112L but together they seem to be a bit redundant, both having a 6" mid and a couple of tweeters. A Tri115L would be just the ticket! What do you think about the 10 and 12 together vs the 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 Epi? I'd probably not go the 3 x 10 route because it's a 4 ohm and the 15 is an 8 ohm.

My preferred tone would have a lot of punch but still be warm. I'm not a slapper and (sorry) use a pick most of the time and fingers just for the slow stuff. I have a 72' P bass and a Victor Wooten Classic Fodera 4 and am on the lookout for a 5 string.

Thanks. G.

8. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    My main rig is a DB359 and GS212. I have the ‘359 in a 4-space SKB case. It’s much easier to move around than the GS212, even though it’s barely 10lbs lighter, so I don’t think you are off base here. At some point I’m going to get one or two smaller cabs, as I’m getting tired of moving the GS212 up and down stairs. Efficiency is definitely a concern with the DB359. My rig has enough volume for my needs, but I don’t play loud gigs, and most large rooms and outdoor gigs I’ve played have had PA support. A nice small single cab solution might be a Schroeder 1210 or 1212. I’ve never played through either of these myself, but they have a lot of fans on this site. I’d be curious to hear if anyone has tried them with a DB359.

- John

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    G, the more I read about what you are after, the more that I think a Whappo, Jr. would really suit you well. It might look big in pictures, but it's actually quite manageable, and I would call it a "lightweight" for its size!

Tom.

10. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    You make a good point Tom. The Jr is a couple of pounds heavier than my heaviest cab but there would be only one of them. Hmmm, you've got me thinking. Thanks.

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've used this rig for a couple of years now, and I really like it. Very warm, punchy and smooth sounding. I can see why it would seem redundant, with the duplicate mid and high drivers, but in actuality, the two cabs compliment each other really well. And, in addition to being very portable, its shockingly loud, especially when I bridge my crest with 700 watts into both cabs. So, before you write off this combo, you may want to check into it more, certainly if you're weighing your options for ultra portable, modular setup. At any rate, it seems like you'll be more than happy with any of the equipment you've mentioned so far, it's all great stuff.

Good luck!

Jake
    my website