1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help needed if you can.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by YOUMAKEITHARD, Jul 25, 2012.

1. YOUMAKEITHARD

YOUMAKEITHARD

Jul 25, 2012
    Hi, On doing a Bass build, I am replacing the original 9v EQ Piezo bridge bar pickup, with a Pasive bass guitar pickup for a Fender precision magnet pickups, to be joined / soldered to a 2 pot fully loaded control panel for a Musicman bass.
    I was told by my supplier that these are compatable as to work.
    The supplier gave me some links as for the wiring up of these, but the wiring all looks different as to what I have got to work with.
    As my 2 , 4 pole pickups have a blue wire that joins them together (4" long) with the bottom one ? has a yellow wire that has a white wire coming out of the middle with a wire coming out between the yellow + white one wire, (this one I assume is the grounding wire ?)
    Now, on my 2 pot + amp jack socket, (if I could mention the top pot), it has a yellow wire that has an inner wire soldered to "top left" pin, with the inner white wire soldered to the "bottom left" pin,the middle pin (for soldering) is clear of wires, and the right pin is soldered bottom to the top of the pot.
    Then this yellow wire travels down to the middle pot, and all the 3 pins are soldered as with the capacitor, then the yellow wire travels down to the jack plug socket, as to connect to a top pin and seperate bottom pin.
    SO...my question's are, where do I solder the inner white wire from the pickup's yellow wire too, ? and the wire coming out from under the yellow part of the same wire, should this just be acting as the Ground wire that should be connected to the bridge metal part ?
    I hope that I have explained this clear as how I am looking at the parts in front of me.
    Please, I hope that I have not brought you to tears in my typing this out, but I sure need somebody with knowledge just to guide me, and to get my bass on the road.

Kind regards
    YOUMAKEITHARD. (I ended up with this name, as every name I tried entering, they were taken ).

:help: Look forward in hope of some help, thankyou. Laurie

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I think some pictures would help. t sounds like you are just doing a Volume/Tone set up, right?

Its hard to decipher what you are trying to explain in text.

3. YOUMAKEITHARD

YOUMAKEITHARD

Jul 25, 2012
    I will try and work out how to place a photo for this page ?

I'm not the best with computers, (well I suppose it also shows I have another flaw) as trying to just wire these pickups to this control panel.

Thanks
    Laurie

Have tried , ummm, as Iv'e said I'm not the best with computers, Sorry.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    I must say that your nick is a bit... unfortunate. :p (Double meaning...)

Take look here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/help-confirm-orientation-wiring-p-bass-pickup-561184/

Sounds like you have the same pickups.

After you have connected the two coils together you should have two wires left. (And maybe a third if you have the shielding plates at the bottom of the pickups (look for a couple of chopper plates with wires attached)

One of those wires should be connected to ground. Preferably to the body of one of your pots. The other one is you signal wire. That one should connect to your volume pot. If you look at your volume pot there is probably only one lug left that is free. (Your tone pot will have one lug unused. Ignore that)

5. YOUMAKEITHARD

YOUMAKEITHARD

Jul 25, 2012
    :hyper::bassist:YOU MADE IT EASY..

Your a Diamond, as in never done any wiring up on any guitar, and I got myself right into this project, and not wanting to put the wrong wire in the wrong place, as this is all new to me.

But following all that you wrote, simple.

Many thanks, I'll take me paracetamols and lay down, panic over.

Kind regards to you.

Laurie

6. YOUMAKEITHARD

YOUMAKEITHARD

Jul 25, 2012
    :bassist:;)