Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help needed in fret note anomaly

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steviecsg, Feb 29, 2004.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    this problem only happens on the G string.

the notes on the 19th and 20th fret are the same. the note that sounds when i play the 19th fret is that of the 20th fret. the note that sounds when i fret the 20th fret is correct, so what's the problem here and how to rectify, does anyone know?

2. Did you determine this using a tuner?

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Either the 20th fret is high, the 19th fret is worn or you have a faulty string. A worn 19th fret is unlikely if the frets around the 5th fret are OK unless you do an abnormal amount of playing that high on the neck. The 20th fret is less likely to raise than the frets closer to the nut because the neck flexes less at the 20th fret.

If more than one string is problematic, the odds are that it's a raised fret. If only one string, it probably is the string.

Look for a dent in the string where it contacts the 19th fret.

T.M.I.? :)

B.t.w., Hambone, I know exactly what you are thinking but according to the gear listed in steviecsgs profile he would probably know.

Harrell S.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Man you guys are good.

5. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    thanks for the replies,

the string looks fine, so it's possibly a high 20th fret though i don't have the appropriate tools to measure. looks like i might have to make a trip down to the local luthier's to check out the problem.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Still, if I were you, I'd grab another string laying around and throw it on, just to check.

May save you some time, money, and grief.

==============================

"What is essential is invisible to the naked eye." (St. Exupery)

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You don't need any tools to check it. Just fret the 19th fret and look and see if the string is touching the 20th fret.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, good point. If it's high enough to sound the same note, it should be visible to a hairy eyeball.