Help needed moving from Sim rig to Real rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solude, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Currently I run my Mustang directly into an RME, then TH3 and out to studio monitors.

I don't jam, gig or do anything else out of my house where I "need" actual gear and I live in a stacked condo where I have neighbours below, behind and beside. That said, I haven't gotten any complaints in the four months I've been here and I don't hear them so... take it for what its worth.

TH3 is mostly guitar focused so while the time and pitch effects, amps and cabs for bass are fine, the compressor and overdrive options are lacking. Which matters to me because frankly they are the only effects I use a lot.

So my first thought was to grab a compressor and overdrive to feed the RME and call it a day. But GAS being GAS that quickly spiraled into adding a tuner and DI which then became a head with a DI out at which point why not a combo for not much more.

Talk me down or... don't. Buy for today? Buy for tomorrow? Buy what you want? Buy what you need?

2. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    To answer my own question the plan today is to go with a GK MB212-II and MB Compressore. Then cross my fingers that the building doesn't rattle ;)

garak7 and Omega Monkey like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    You might want to consider the Fender Rumble series. 500 watts for playing in a condo seems a bit much, but whatever you like is cool. I suggest the Rumble because it has great built compression and overdrive. The overdrive is very configurable. It will go from a nice edge on your tone to "OMG, my speaker's gone!"
    They also have an aux in and headphone out that will let practice quietly if you like.
    From your description of what you do and where you do it, I would think a 40 watt would do fine. I've played my 500 in a space rated for 800 people and been asked to turn down (master at 40% and gain at 25%.

4. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Part of "problem" is that I am also an audiophile so while the Rumble 100 ticks all the boxes it obviously isn't a cost no object build sound wise. On the other side, great sounding cabs are easy enough to find but low power heads... not so much. I had an eye on the Ampeg PF tube heads but they are really noisy.

5. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

I just read yesterday under the Ampeg PF club that someone saw a new config where some resisters were added to the recently manufactured PF amps. I for one have a 50T about a year and a half year old, and I do not have anyloud hum, and I am using it in a small office and record with a mic. My amp is no where close to being called noisy.
    And, it's a great amp, wish I should have bought that puppy years ago.
    Brent

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    @JimmyM can prolly help you out here.

Why not just a good set of headphones?

BadExample likes this.
  7. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    I divorced my wife, in part, because I was tired of using headphones, not about to use them at home now ;)

Part of the bass experience is the cab and visceral feel. My current studio monitors are already flat down to 40Hz and can push 119dB but an SVT fridge they are not. Similar to my experience with eDrums even in the $4000+ range... just not the same.

To be fair I do use my headphones at work because... reasons :p

8. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Well if you're happy with the simulation. ...are you running this through a DAW (dumb question but I've known guitarists that claim their interfaces came with no software and they had to record into Audacity)?

I'd say throw that sim into an fx loop, load up an EQ and low pass filter the top that you don't like and then add a compressor (or load another EQ after the low pass) with a low threshold and low ratio to get the bassy sound. If it works for kids producing rap with 808 samples it should do the trick for bass. I don't think those two plugins are rare features in DAWS these days.

Just an idea before you start spending money

9. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Define noisy for you though. Given you wrote no "loud hum" I assume you are getting "a hum"?

10. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Probably the best reason I have ever encountered. Kudos.
    I would stay with what you know, you can put a cab simulator in your chain and sound good with no amp. I don't see a need for an amp if you are not playing outside of the home.

Solude likes this.
  11. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Definitely no "need", no argument there.

My current "sim" chain is a vm comp, ibanez tube screamer, boss 7 band eq, boss octaver, digital delay, plate reverb, ampeg svt-cl and svt 15e. The comp is always on and the rest is when needed. TH3 also has looper and tuner functions so no "need" there either.

It really is about feel. Poor analogy but it's like driving a car vs playing a video game. Both have a steering wheel and pedals but aren't the same feel wise.

12. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I find that audiophile perspectives are sometimes at odds with the pursuit of awesome bass tone.

agedhorse, Solude and Bassbeater like this.
  13. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey Suspended

Mar 8, 2015
    The GK and compressore is probably a good setup for your needs. I have the compressore and it's awesome.

Bassbeater likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ampeg PF-50T Humbuster

This is the fix that has been incorporated into newer PF-50T's. Mine didn't come with the fix but I had it done and it's as quiet as my quietest amps now. A couple of my friends just got new PF-50T's and they said they're quiet, too.

Just Got an Ampeg SVT-DI to try out

Here are some soundclips of my PF-50T along with clips of the A-Designs REDDI and the Ampeg SVT-DI tube DI's to give you an idea how quiet it is now.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  15. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Is it also in the 20T?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Don't know.

17. You’re in Practice Amp Land and not gigging.

Check your audiophileness at the door and just start playing.
    Save that stuff for your home theatre system.
    Otherwise you’ll just drive yourself insane.

If the Rum100 checks all the boxes for you, just do it. :thumbsup:

18. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Afraid you are a few years late to save me from that ;)

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  19. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I think if you are mostly playing in your house, a good bass specific Preamp/DI is going to give you lots of use. You can use it with your interface and it will be useful if you play with others. Even though I'm not playing with a band atm, I still use my live rig pedalboard which has a DI. It just goes into my table mixer instead of an amp or FOH.

20. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

Jimmy, I don't think the amp could be any quieter, the only sound the amp makes is when I turn the standby on; otherwise the amp is silent. I've read the Humbuster thread way back, and I don't think I would gain much at all, that's how quiet I think my particular amp is. And as I said, I record with it in a small hard surfaced room.
    It's hard to relate to someone how quiet the amp is, so I didn't reply to his query.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021