1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed on choice of new J style pickups. Please assist.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MusicalAlchemy, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Thank you all in advance.

Okay, I have a Rogue 6 string bass. For a cheaper bass, it's very good, and as I don't have a few thousand to get a really good bass that I want, I'm going to replace the pickups in this. As mentioned, it has J style pickups. I'm going for a combination of Les Claypool, John Myung, and Victor Wooten's tone. I know it will be a feat to achieve. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm running through an ADA MB-1 if that is of any help.

I Humbly Thank You

2. Is there anyone alive out there? Did I do this wrong? Should I have posted this in another thread instead of creating one?

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I frankly believe you'd be happy with EMG's, but don't know if there's a pair that would fit this particular bass... I'd avoid Bartolinis for the sound you're going after...

4. Thank you for the response. EMG doesn't make any J pickups other than for 4 strings apparently. What would your second recomendation be? Do you know anything about Legacy Pickups (previously Lane Poor) ?

5. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

post the measurements of the pickups (incl. Both bridge & neck pup)

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I do have experience with Lane Poor pickups and they are far, far away from the sound you're after. Lane Poors sound uncolored, woody and well-behaved. Don't know if Legacy follows these lines, though...

J-style 6 string pickups are not very common. Perhaps you should re-route your bass to accomodate some EMG's...

7. The bridge and neck pickups are both 4 inches by 3/4 inch.

What do you mean by they sound well-behaved? If I was to re-route my bass, what type of EMG pickup would you suggest I put in it?

8. I would go with Aero they can make the pickup custom to sound the way you want and make the string spacing to match your bass perfectly.

9. That sounds like a pretty good deal. Is there any good place to hear what some already made sound like?

10. Call them up talk to Larry tell him the guy who just got the mustang bass pickups sent you he'll tell you all about it maybe give you some places to go listen to them.

11. I shall do that. For reference sake, how much will I expect to be paying? I didn't see any prices on the web page.

12. the bassist you named they all dont use jazz basses as main bass so i think is a bit hard to get the same tone. But i would try with Di Marzio Ultra Jazz

13. I'll check those out as well.

14. The Di Marzio Ultra Jazz pickups seem to only come in 5 or 4 string models.

15. I don't know for the 6 string but I would guess $150? Don't quote me on that

16. Thanks for the estimate. Un-quoted.