Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Needed on Deciding Pickups for that FAT Bass sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BongBass, Jul 25, 2003.

1. BongBass

BongBass

Jul 12, 2003
    Singapore
    Hi all Pickup Gurus,

I have a Steinberger which I would like to change it's current EMG Select Passives to an active source.

The thing is that I do a lot of Top 40 stuff, which means I need to get a good blend between a Hifi Bass sound and one with lots of balls ala G&L basses.

The reason why I would like to mod my Spirit Steinberger is because it is small and very light for gigs but, the sound is much left to be desirable, so if I can work on this aspect, I would have a very practical & strong bass to work with.

I was thinking of using the following configuration to achieve this but am still very undecided due to a lack of experience. Anyone who has an experience with my type of desired pop tone, perhaps can help me in this?

Ok here is what I propose as being workable on a small bass body like my Spirit Steinberger:

Either:
    (i) Have a Jazz single coil Neck pup and a Humbucker Bridge pup - Both actives and using EMGs. (very Lakland in config)

or,

(ii) Retain the current EMG passives and go for a U-Retro preamp from John East.

Any comments?

Thanks all! :)

2. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    go the john east preamp route.