1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help needed on Vintage (1980) EMG Pickups for a Modulus Graphite Bassstar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cos, Jan 16, 2012.

1. cos

cos

Aug 13, 2004
    Hello TBers,

I have a Modulus Bassstar that dates to around 1981 (based on the dates on the pots). It's from the time were Modulus & Alembic were working together and I've been told by fellow TBers that worked there that my Bass has EMG pickups that were housed in a custom case for Modulus, this would be pre-EMG (Overlend). Altough Modulus used Bartolini pickups during this time as well, the pickups in the Bass use wiring more like EMGs and do not have any label or tell-tale Bartolini signs.

I've owned the Bass for close to 30 years and recently picked it up after not playing it for 15 years and couldn't get any power, after an unsuccessful trip to my local luthier, I have the bass back and am looking for some guidance from some of the "old timers" here on the wiring and the pre-amp.

The Bass sounded fantastic and I would like to try to restore it using the original parts before giving up and replacing the pickups and circut.

-The Bass was wired as V/V/T with a 2-way switch, I beleive the switch was a limiter or a pre-amp boost, but I am not sure.

-The pickups don't appear to be passive, I can't get a tone form them direct, or even wiring them to a battery.

-I've attached a wiring diagram from how the Bass stands now, I think my luthier changed some wires around the lead from the preamp (it is not connected) , I think it might have been originally attached to the jack and then the Tone Pot & Jack don't look right.

-I know EMG used the Hot+ on the Jack to draw power.

-any wiring assistance would be greatly appreciated, and also any info on the switch/pre-amp.

Thanks,

Cos

Attached Files:

2. cos

cos

Aug 13, 2004
    additional pics

Attached Files:

3. cos

cos

Aug 13, 2004
    2 way switch pics

Attached Files:

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Is that red wire burnt in 2?
    Looks like 2 free ends in cavity.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I see a red wire from the preamp that seems to be just going no where in the second photo. That needs to be connected to the battery. You can see where the splice is.

The pickups do look like old Overlend or EMG, and like with all EMGs, the red wire goes to the battery.