1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help needed, originality of this Tobias bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jorgera, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jorgera

jorgera Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Boston
    Endorsing M.Laghus Custom Bass
    hi guys, this bass is listed on "brazilian Ebay " my friend is interested but seller does not know much abult it. i was wondering if you guys can help us,
    were it is made ?
    year ?
    model ?
    ...?
    the serial # is confused, but looks like TD-084
    Thanks
    Jorgera

Contra Baixo Tobias Bartolino - R$ 2.800,00 en MercadoLibre

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm not familiar with the "TD" nomenclature.
    It's not "Made by Mike and Crew".
    4 knobs - it's not a Bassic.
    The neck heel is very different than on Mike's basses.

There were two series - one made in Japan, one made by Mike Pedulla.
    It *could* be one of those, but I'm not expert in recognizing them.
    The 4 knob pattern with neck-through construction is also found on the Toby Pro, but this doesn't look like a Toby Pro to me.

3. jorgera

Aug 22, 2007
    Boston
    thanks Kesslari

4. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    Looks like one of the original"Toby" series from the very early 90s. Very few made by an outside, US manufacturer, assembled by Mike & Crew. These were followed by the Japanese made units.

Edited to add: Yes Kesslari, the Pedulla ones! Thank you!

5. jorgera

Aug 22, 2007
    Boston
    yes Bassie12, that is what i thought, i had one of these on 1999, great bass, mine was made in Korea, but at that time was just like the American Tobias, only whit the different bartolini pre-amp.
    thanks

6. torres_bass

torres_bass

Sep 23, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Doesn't really look like a "Toby".... I believe the the Toby's had a closer knob layout.... It could be the Japanese made Tobias but then again it doesn't say it on back of headstock... weird but looks good.

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That looks like a Tobias Model T, which is the one that was built under contract by Pedulla (I believe). The Model T's had that knob arrangement, and the truss rod adjustment at the headstock where both the regular Tobiases (Basic, Classic, Signature) and the Japanese-made Standard had the truss rod adjustment at the heel, dot inlays on the board, and a 3-knob control layout.

The Korean-made Tobys also had the truss rod at the headstock, but it doesn't really look like one of those--the neck laminates were completely different on those, as was the control layout.

On the other hand, all the Model T's I've seen pictures of all had solid maple necks with no laminates, and they all had the logo colored with red and white, just like the regular Tobiases. Still, it looks more like the Model T than any of the other models I know of, unless it's just a complete (but well-made) fake.

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Looks quite surely like Mike P's work. Nice looking bass.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Did the model T have that neck heel contour? That's a significant diff between these and Mike T's basses, and could be useful in saying "Pedulla-built" or "fake".

And yeah, either way, it's a good looking bass.

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The heel looks about right, at least when compared to the best set of Model T pics I can find: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/tobias-model-t-bass-pre-nashville-608538/

That one looks pretty much like the others I've seen. Now that I look carefully, that one has the same outline logo as the auction, so maybe that part isn't so odd after all.

11. jorgera

Aug 22, 2007
    Boston
    thanks for the Help everybody.