Help needed sending signal to mixer

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tonecaster, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hi! Hope this finds you all well! Hoping you can shed some light on a SR problem I'm experiencing. A local church asked me to cover their bass duties. My signal path is bass-compressor-Fender Rumble 100. All sounds great in the room. Issue we are running into is when I run my signal to the board from the amp's line out, we aren't getting anything. I can run direct to the board, but their FOH speakers are too small to handle enough bass to cover the room, and distort everything else, hence the amp. They do want bass in the live feed (goes out to FB...) however. Cable checks out, Channel checks out. Thoughts? Not enough juice from the amps XLR out? Should I send to the mixer from my effects loop? ABY or DI box after the compressor? Would prefer to keep my EQ if possible. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Is the board input set to instrument level rather than mic level?
    Else get a DI - bass into DI, XLR from DI to board, 1/4" cable from DI to your amp. Easy peasy.

3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    +1

DJ Bebop and Tonecaster like this.
  4. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hey folks! Thanks for weighing in. I'm attaching a pic of the mixer. I'm in 4.

Attached Files:

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    How are you going to the mixer? You should go from the XLR out to a channel on the board. I do this regularly when a venue has a sound system. Here are some testing tip:
    1. Do you get a signal if you go to something other than the mixer?
    2. Have you tried more than one cable?
    3. Remember, the XLR out is post everything. That means any changes you make on the amp will be made on the mixer as well.
    4. Is you sound man competent? I would be sure the gain is set and the channel is not mute.
    5. Have you tried different channels on the mixer?
    Best of luck on that.

Tonecaster likes this.
  6. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thanks!

7. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hey Zbysek, Thanks for your reply.
    Just a little concerned that I'll be handing over my EQ to the mixer.
    Preferred DI box?
    Thanks!
    Ed

Zbysek likes this.
  8. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Mixer will always be able to EQ your signal no matter what you do. You need to get used to it.

Plus the EQ setting which works for combo amp is usually not suitable for FOH.

I am using Radial JDI myself.

9. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thanks Zybsek!

Zbysek likes this.
  10. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Looking at that board, pretty much any budget DI will be fine without losing tone. You don't need a high-end DI box by any means, just don't get the absolute cheapest Amazon ones.

These are the first ones I bought about 10 years ago. I bought one dual version on which one channel eventually crapped out, but the two single ones are still going strong.
    upload_2022-10-4_10-8-33.png

I got this Mackie duel one a couple of years ago and it sounds fine and feels well built.
    upload_2022-10-4_10-8-2.png

SoCal80s and Tonecaster like this.
  11. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thanks for the reply!

So, are you folks of the opinion that the XLR DI out on the Rumble won't work?
    Thx!

12. Unless I am missing something, the Eq for channel 4 on the board is almost at full cut on the low shelf band...so there's that.

Edit: looks like the mute button could be engaged on that channel too?...kind of hard to tell from the angle.

13. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hi Bass4Brkfst!
    I reached out to the fellow that set it all up. Apparently he misspoke, I'm in 1. The channel with the trim and gain all the way down...
    He can't remember if he turned them down after trying get a signal.
    Sigh...

31HZ likes this.
  14. Well...:thumbsdown: to that.

I'd suggest trying to troubleshoot with what you have, especially if you have no reason to suspect anything is wrong with the amp, find something else to connect the amp's xlr out and test that first.
    Otherwise, an the easy way is to use a good-ole passive DI box between your bass and the rest of your rig, as already suggested.
    I can understand your concern with handing over your raw signal to a sound person who is, let's say...inexperienced, but it's the spot we are all in at some point.

Aqualung60 and Tonecaster like this.
  15. Hi. Just arrived to the party.
    From what I can tell from the pic, you are connected properly. XLR Line out, on the amp to XLR In, on the mixer.
    Looking at the manual, they spec the line out impedance as of 3.3K. I'll take a stab at it and say it is line level output vs mic level. But really shouldn't matter for that mixer. If after running the trim pot through it's full range, (0/+15 being the line level end of the range) you still hear nothing, perhaps you have a fault somewhere. It could be the amp, or the mixer, or the cable connecting the two. Try a different input, if that doesn't work, find another, known, good cable to put between the amp and the mixer. If not that, it kinda points to the amp. (Assuming no cockpit trouble ;) and only one fault is involved.)

SoCal80s, Zooberwerx and Tonecaster like this.
  16. His board has a trim pot that sweeps from +15 to -45.

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    If it were me, I just get a DI that parallels out to the amp and the mixer and call it a day. that way you're feeding your amp and the mixer and the sound guy can handle his feed from there.

18. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hey Folks,
    Thanks for all your time and thoughts!
    Not sure where the mixer was set, so I'll start with the trim and gain next Sunday, move on to the cable, and switch to a DI box, (ordered a Radial, thanks Zbysek!) if that doesn't work. The amp is brand new, so the XLR out not working is a stretch, but not impossible. Sure did simple at the outset. The fellow handling the mixing duties (also in the band), seemed vexed and grumpy, so I stayed away from the board.

31HZ likes this.
  19. Oh man! Grumpy audio guy? :help:

Sure, the amp is a long shot. But I've seen more than my share of failed-new, over the years.
    We even have a name for it. Infant Mortality.

Even knew a guy who drove around on high beams for six months because "there's no way both low beams could burn out at the same time." Guess what the fix was? Yeah, a real long shot, but not impossible.

Give your sound guy a candy bar and ask him to check the Line Out. If it's not working you should get it fixed under warranty.

Aqualung60 and Tonecaster like this.
  20. Tonecaster

Tonecaster

Dec 10, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    Good point OGBr!

I've ordered a cable tester as well. Probably not a bad thing have in my gig bag...

Can't be too harsh on him, he really just had the duty dropped on him...

Old Garage-Bander likes this.