1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help needed to get started

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Isaak, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Isaak

Isaak

Aug 11, 2007
    My name is Isaak and im 14
    I have been playing electric bass for 2 years and want to switch to the Double Bass because i want to get into Bluegrass and other music of that sorft because it is a lot more active. If you could give me some advice on where to purchase a good quality/cheap DB that would be Greatly Appreciated
    Isaak

2. check the stickies

3. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Isaak,

Welcome to the forum.

We can probably help you better if tell us where your are. Stating "northeast Illinois" or " New York City area" will do just fine. This way, someone can direct you to a luthier or string shops in your area.

You should review the "newbie" threads above as they provide lots of good information and advice. You might also want to search the form for "bluegrass bass"

It's also important that you locate and take some lessons from a qualified teacher.

In my opinion, your best chance for getting a bass of decent quality at a reasonable price is to go with a well set up laminate (plywood). These are widely available but there's a lot of junk out there as well. This is where a teacher and a luthier can help you.

For a few starting points, I would suggest checking out the beginning basses made by Christopher, Shen, Lemur Music, and Upton Bass. You can read about these and others by searching the forms.

Good luck.