1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed to identify a Framus Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adr0ck, May 21, 2011.

1. adr0ck

adr0ck

May 20, 2011
    Hello everyone,

this is my first post here on talkbass.com, thought I have been around the forum for quite some time, just reading stuff.

I can really use some help from some of the experts around here, who know something about Framus Basses. :help:

Some guy came up to me and offered me a Framus Bass from the 70s.I have never heard anything of a company called Framus before and that guy has no idea what kind of Framus Bass it is. It has no name or serial number on it aswell...

He sent me some pictures of the Bass, which you can find here. -->> ImageShack Album - 4 images <<--
    I was hoping that someone might be able to identify the bass and maybe give me some additional information on it.

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks upfront!

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Let's just say that there might not be a Warwick instruments company without the Framus history preceding it. As for the model of the Framus bass in question that you posted pics of, I have no idea, but the original Framus company folded up shop in 1975 if I remember right. None the less, there are some bass players who have made musical history playing a Framus made bass, and the brand does have a dedicated collector fan base. Do a Google search of Framus for grins and giggles, and learn about these teutonic beauties.,

3. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Back again. It seems that Framus made this bass up until 74-75, but even the Framus geeks call it a 'Tele Type' bass as the model doesn't appear in the catalogs of that time, and hence no model number was ever given or published, but they did make these Tele style odd balls.

4. adr0ck

adr0ck

May 20, 2011
    First of all thank you very much for the help.
    It indeed is a very odd bass in a way. I don't like the telecaster style but nevertheless I am going to check it out.

Any more thoughts about the neck?
    As you can see on the pics the neck consists of mutliple layers of wood glued together. Someone told me that these necks are quite good, thought I personally always thougth, that this is just a very cheap method to build a neck...

5. Multi-piece necks are quite popular, especially in neck-thru instruments. CHeck out Gibson's Thunderbird, or the Epiphone Pro Thunderbird for examples of mulit-lam necks that work quite well, stronger than the 1 piece mahogany necks that used to be the norm on T-birds.

Every Framus I've seen (and my playing goes back to Framus' heyday) had a pencil-thin neck, narrower than anything availabe today, except maybe a Hofner. Check the bass out before you pull the trigger, because if you're used to a standard P- or J- bass, the Framus will feel quite different. The very thin neck is probably what prompted the multi-lam neck; I'd bet Framus had quite a time with necks warping or twisting, due to how narrow they were.

Very little information is available on the model you're inquiring about. It seems that Framus never had a bona-fide model number for it:

http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/site/site.php

6. adr0ck

adr0ck

May 20, 2011
    Ok, cool thank you very much.
    I have decided not to buy the Bass though. Too old for me.. :smug:

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Framus

Franconian Music

Framus international

Framus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Framus International

Warwick Basses Amps & Rock'n Roll

As I understand it Framus began as a number of folks/Instrument Craftsmen were seeking a place to go at the end of WWII while some areas of Europe were getting carved up and coming under Communist rule. Many were not too excited about living under Communist rule, thus were looking for a place to move to.

A good number of these Artisans were from the Wilfer clan. Also of note the Wilfer's had been making Violins etc... for 100 years or so in this area of the world.

Czechoslovakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bavaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not own a Framus but I would like to. I do own a 1984 Emanuel Wilfer Upright Bass though.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That style of laminate techonology was used in German Mauser rifles during WWII. It's still used today in gunstocks and is noted for it's stability and strength.

I had an MIJ Teisco with that style of laminated neck.

9. My very first bass was a Framus short scale P bass knock off with a single pickup. It played and sounded great!

10. adr0ck

adr0ck

May 20, 2011