1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed w/ MIM Fender P-Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bdubs16, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bdubs16

bdubs16

Mar 29, 2009
    orlando
    Not sure if this is the correct section so mods please feel free to move. I have MIM 4 string Fender P-Bass and I need some setup advice in relation to the bridge and neck. I don't have a feeler gauge so trying to setup the bass by sight has been pretty tough. The problems I have are that I get a good amount of fret buzz from the 7th fret up if I don't have the bridge saddles raised up super high. The tops of the screw sit flush to slightly recessed with the tops of the saddles. Another problem I have is that the screws on the A string saddle like to unscrew themselves, thus lowering the action and giving me fret buzz. I'm looking into getting a new bridge such as a Leo Quan Badass II or Hipshot A style bridge. Any ideas, suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. If you're getting buzz from the middle of the neck toward the bridge, you need to increase tension on the trussrod & reduce relief plus raise the saddles - hundreds of thousands of threads here on how to do that.

If it's from the 7th fret back toward the nut, the opposite is true - release tension, add relief & usually a need to reduce saddle height.

However, as always, that's a generalisation and there may be other reasons & fixes.

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
  4. bdubs16

bdubs16

Mar 29, 2009
    orlando
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll mess around with it some more and see where I get.