Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Needed! Want to stop my Jazz Bass's buzzing!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've got a grounding/shielding question. Can anybody help me out?

I have a MIA Fender 1975 RI Jazz bass. Reissue means all the best of old-school design and all the worst. For some reason, my Jazz buzzes constantly, until I touch the control plate. Then it's dead quiet. Isn't there something that can be done about this? I can solder, shield, etc.--as necessary. I just need to know what to do.

As you'll see from the pics below, the cavity is not shielded. Should I do that? Alternatively, I noticed that there is only one white wire attached to the input jack. Is that correct?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm definitely not a wiring expert, but shouldn't the output jack have a ground wire coming off of it?

3. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    On all my Jazzes there is a grounding wire from the other terminal on the input jack to the bridge. It's hard to tell from the photo if the two extra black wires come from the shielding plates in the pickup cavities or if one of those comes from the bridge.

I had great success in shielding my pickups by wrapping the coil in copper foil and grounding the foil to the pickup's grounding wire....yes I know its SUPpOSED to change the tone of the pickups, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference and the bass is now dead quiet!

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I pulled the wiring schematics on the 75 RI from Fender's website. Turns out there is not a ground leading from the jack. So that wasn't the issue.

The problem was that the bridge ground wire wasn't soldered to anything. It was just sort of hanging out in there. A drop of solder and problem solved.

This bass sells for close to $1600. No one noticed that the only thing grounding the bass was the control plate? Another victory for Fender quality control!