Help needed, what is this bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pavezer, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Pavezer

Jan 16, 2004
    Hi all!

I got pictures of a bass guitar that i might be buying. Owner bought it second hand several years ago and doesn't really know what brand or whatever it is. He doesn't really know anything about basses and couldn't help me a lot.
    Well, at least I got some pictures and for my surprise there aren't ANY texts ANYWHERE! not even a serial number or a "made in.." text. No nothing. Not in the tuning machines or anywhere else..
    So I'm thinking that it's possibly self made. But I'm not sure.
    I just need a cheap bass guitar for my home recording lo-fi projects and this one is really cheap. It's so cheap that I'm afraid that it is really the worst bass guitar in the world. I don't have a possibility to see and try the bass..So, here I am thinking of not to buy or to buy. I am a student so even a small money is a big issue.
    Now I'm asking you dear friends to take a look at this picture (attached to this message: bass.jpg) and hopefully recognize something. Anything that could show what this bass is.
    (well i DO know that it is a Precision copy..)
    The price for the bass is 50 EUR including shipping. That's around 60 US$. Worth of it?

Thanks in advance!

Lale, Finland

ps: I'm a guitar player so basses aren't really my strongest area..
  2. The headstock looks kinda like a Silvertone to me...cept the tuners dont match Silvertones :meh:
  3. 50 euro ? sure.. why not ? good one for backup / home practice.
  4. What may help shed some light on this is to have the owner remove the neck. Usually a date of manufacture is hidden on the base of the neck where it is bolted to the body. Factory made bolt-on necks will usually have something like an inspector's number, date of assembly or something of the sort there. I know you said the owner doesn't know much of basses, but this is a very very simple process. If you can use a screwdriver, than you can remove a fender style bolt on neck. It literally takes about two minutes.

Other than that, this thing is a mystery to me. The hardware looks like they are fender. The neck isn't a fender neck, and the headstock is clearly not a fender headstock. There are so many fender style companies out there it is difficult to say.