1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help needed with clothing ideas for my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by gjbassist, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:51 AM.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Cover band, members are early to mid 50's (but we don't play "dad band" material).
    Trying to get away from the typical bar band look of jeans and T-shirts even though we do play in some nicer bars. Not wanting to go suit and tie but something more casual that still gives the band an overall professional look. Show me what you are wearing on stage that you feel fits my needs.

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm a believer in going a notch above. Vests, ties, jackets, a little bling, all good.
    27972467_10204547812810600_979260938673845892_n area 23 2-9-2018.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Couple of ideas:

- black button down collared shirt, bright solid color tie (everyone pick their own color).
    - bright solid t shirt or collared button down shirt, dark blazer or vest.

Unless you are getting paid to wear it, no logos, either band or clothing company.

Black jeans or pants.

Goodwillll and Savers stores are your friend. I umpire vintage baseball, so I had to get a black three button jacket - found one, brand new and well known manufacturer, for $6.49.

As @hrodbert696 says, go the extra mile.

Spidey2112, gln1955 and gjbassist like this.
  4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Good idea! I will check out Savers and a couple other thrift stores this week to look for some gig clothes!

buldog5151bass likes this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That pretty much nails it for me...classy plus you can get into just about any restaurant...as a patron or waiter.

Riis

Oddly likes this.
  6. They will never forget your band...
    adult-cat-costume.

JRA, Oddly, rendevouz and 9 others like this.
  7. I like button down shirts that aren't intended to be tucked in (think Miami style shirts) and dress pants or khakis (not cargo pants) and dress shoes. I top it with a nice hat. If it's the proper type of gig, tucked shirt and tie.

8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I usually go with a black dress shirt and dark blue jeans with dark, plain comfortable shoes. I don't think a jacket would ever be comfortable for that long on stage. I might try a vest if I can find something a bit out of the ordinary.

9. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We always wear matching outfits. My favorite is white tyvek hooded coveralls.

dup01-ty127s-tyvekhazmatsuitattachedhoodelasticwristankle-1428-01.

Basstards, JRA, ahc and 4 others like this.
  10. It works for me and @Phalex

5string1-.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Chuck-E.-Cheese.

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you want to stay casual do dark or black jeans. Fitted shirts, typically without logo or cutesie sayings. No Affliction anything. No goofy little hats. No sunglasses unless you’re outside or blind.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 10:11 AM
  13. Usually for the nice gigs it is button down shirts and black dress pants
    upload_2018-4-16_10-47-16. upload_2018-4-16_10-48-32. or a polo shirt with a light sports jacket :)

JRA likes this.
  14. When my band wants to "dress fancy" we do black button downs with white ties, blue jeans, and chucks. The singer wears a dress to match.

RI Cover Band | United States | Squelch

We have some examples there.
    [​IMG]

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  15. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    There are lots of nice options.
    BIG KUDOS to you for caring!!!! One more crocs, cargo shorts, and metalica t-shirt, and I'm gonna hurl.

16. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
  17. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    GWAR has a nice look. Google if not familiar.

18. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Avoid khakis and polo shirts, and if anyone shows up to a gig in pleated pants, fire them. You don't want to look like you're selling insurance.

sqlb3rn likes this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Well, I was going to post the 'puffy pirate' blouse, from Seinfeld, but it's kind of hard to top the 'man-kitty', unless he's declawed...

Bassbeater and sqlb3rn like this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    As long as he's conservative in his fashion, and mindful of the season, I don't mind...

Ekulati, Oddly, gjbassist and 2 others like this.