1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed with Pros and Cons of Ampeg Tube Amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottblessed, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Sometime soon, I'm going to be looking to purchase either an SVT-CL or an SVT2-pro.

And I'm not entirely sure which one I prefer.

The classic is renowned for being the worlds best bass amp, but aren't the EQ settings fixed? Like I mean, isn't the bass knob fixed for cut and boost at lets say 55Hz.

Whereas the SVT2-Pro has a graphic EQ as well, which is excellent for shaping tone.

Who has tried these heads out or at least, who can help me.

I need the grit of an all tube head.

Scott
    x

2. J_Ck

J_Ck

Jul 18, 2006
    Monticello, AR
    Personally, I'd go for the 2-Pro instead of the CL simply because it's rackmountable, has more features like the graphic EQ, tuner out, effects loop, and from what I've heard about it they seem to be a little more versatile than the CL....

Also, the 2-Pro is 10 pounds less which may or may not be a big deal for you...

BTW, I checked your band out and a bassist in a band similar to your sound in my area uses the 2-pro and it sounds sooooo good, IMO

3. Southern Theory

Southern Theory

May 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    The SVT 2 pro has the great tube sound of the CL, with added features. I'd go with a 2 pro because you can get the same sound as a CL, yet you have more tone shaping options so that you can tailor the sound to your needs.

Hope I helped :]

4. +1 go with the 2 pro or see if U can find a 2nd hand svt 2 non pro- even better IMHO:hyper: OR a SVT-VR( similar to the SVT2(non pro)
    The SVT-2 NON PRO is apparently pretty darn close to the orig. or early SVT's & has a far nicer sound- so I've heard.
    AMPEG TUBE HEADS Pro's:- GREAT sound, LOUD(even the V4BH is Plenty loud enough!!!), No more 'servicing' required than a Solid state amps, sound that is FULL , warm & 'feelable' more so than S.S. amps thet I've tried at least! Loud!!!!! Really the V4BH would be all that is needed unless U R up against 2 or more 100w Marshal(or equal) stacks & are playing REAL loud ! I have a 300w Fender 300PRO-all tube- & it is LOUD AS ****!!!!
    - Unless U don't like the sound(in which case U shouldn't buy one in the 1st place) -U'll never have to buy another amp!
    Cons: need to buy a new set of OUTPUT tubes (6550's or KT88's) after 10 yrs or so. Depending on use-they can last 20+yrs- DON'T be fooled into thinking U need to retube it after 2 yrs.... unless U notice a marked deterioration in sound. Just get it serviced once a year -if U use it often- & all's well. IME
    - Heavy!

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    For me the choice is between a vintage '70s SVT and an SVTII (non-pro),
    hands down. I would only consider the SVTII if I really wanted the tone shaping capabilities, but I run my SVT fairly flat and get almost all the shaping I need from the midrange knob.

6. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Id go the VR....because it has less features :bag:

thats just my bag when it comes to ampeg...plug in turn up and destroy :D

it really comes down to your taste i guess. Ampeg make some great amps, you won't be dissapointed either way you go.

7. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    It depends on what sound you like.
    For oldschool like tone Id go for any of those 2 channel svts or maybe the II (never tried it).

If you want more modern compressed brutal evil scooped tone, then get either a CL or IIpro.

I personally so much prefer the oldschool tone for its legendary midgrowl thunder.

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I don't hear anything modern in the Classic, to me it just sounds like a less good vintage one. The SVTII is very similar to both, but I like them more than the Classic.

Using a good set of power tubes makes a big difference as to the growl you'll expect to get.

9. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN

+1 Definatley the 2pro or non-pro. Love my non-pro and if given the choices you stated, I would go with the rack mountable greater choice of sounds that is the 2pro.

Cheers

10. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    And a really good set of power tubes is expensive. Those leads to the disadvantages of all tube ampegs. It needs a Power-Tube swap every 5 to 10 years - and its HEAVY. The rest is advantages only :p

11. whats the major and minor differences between the 2 pro and a 2 (non pro).

What makes one so much better than the other?

I like that really growly midrange tone, not a huge fan of scooped mid tones.

thanks for the help guys.

x

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Not a massive difference, I just like the build quality and the relative simplicity of the SVTII. There is something about the voicing of the electronics that just sounds very good to me over the Pro, and much closer to the sound of the vintage ones.

13. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    I would take a Portaflex over SVT's anyday. B15N vintage one would be ideal, modern ones are OK too.

14. I don't think you'll get much help here as things are devided pretty evenly into the 2 camps. I use an SVP-Pro pre-amp which is the pre-amp section from the SVT-Pro. I never use the EQ but I sometimes use the drive. The only way you're gonna know is to A-B the heads through the same speakers. This is a substantial investment, rely on YOUR ears to make the decision.

15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Both pretty good sounds, I like the 2-Pro better but let your own ears decide.

I'm sure there's more to it... but the major feature difference is the gain/master setup on the pro. If "grit of an all tube head" to you is a driven preamp tube, you may like the Pro better. To my ears the desireable tube grit comes from the power section, and the non pro simply does that better (even if it's only a slightly different circuit design).

I think there may be a few other tiny details... speakons? 7 vs 9 band EQ? Modern grey graphics... all of which are pretty much non-issues for me.

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You might consider PMing Psycho Bass guy about this. He's the resident tube amp guru.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I think I'm the only bass player in the world who thinks this, but I hate the sound of the Ampeg amps and cabs. I played a classic SVT/8x10 rig once and thought it was the worst sound ever. I turned it off and used the monitor instead.

The one exception - for me - is a B15. If I would have been at the store 15 minutes earlier a couple years ago, I'd have one. The problem is they aren't very loud, so you have to mic them for big gigs. Probably worth the effort.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021