1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed with Samick SAKB-6690

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gerd0, Dec 16, 2019.

1. gerd0

gerd0

Dec 16, 2019
    Hey there!

First post here, after using Talkbass as a reliable source of info while looking for my very first bass guitar I decided to register and ask myself about it.
    The thing is that I've found what looks to be a very good deal: a Samick SAKB-6690 bass (Korean made in '98, active setup, 4 strings). While doing some research I've seen that they're usually sold for 200 to 275$ (used, of course), and I've found someone selling one for just 100$, and it is apparently in a very good condition.
    It is apparently such a good deal, but I'd like to know what do you think about it! I wanna make sure if I'm being lucky or if it's simply that those who paid more than 200$ were just ripped off. For the record, my plan is simply to use it mainly to record at my simple home studio and to practice.

Thanks!

(I'm not the original author of the picture but that's the one, the color is some kind of dark green) 423789_295328p1040717.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'd be all over that like chocolate on macadamias for $100! (Well, if it isn't a basket case).
    I've always loved those headstocks.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    @ $100 I'll take 2, please! a quick google says they listed @ $1,100 ...and I'm a Samick fan

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The few I've seen were $350-500 used in my neck of the woods, but to be honest, I haven't seen one in quite a while. I did get to try one though. $100 is a more than decent price for one if in good condition considering this was one of Samick's higher end branded models at one time(don't know what the original MSRP was but certainly way above $100!) in terms of sound, to me, it reminded me of mid-tier models of other known brands, something like the Ibanez SR500 or similar. In other words, it's a good to great sounding modern bass nothing "budget" about it. If the modern sound is what you're looking for, you'll likely be very happy with the bass and sheesh...again at that price. If you're looking more for the classic P bass/Jazz bass earthy kind of sound, this might not be the right bass. (of course you can buy it, re-sell it for a profit then buy a used MIM Fender lol).

Edit: Now that I think more about it (and being on a Washburn kick as of late), other than the headstock, it does have a somewhat "Washburn" bass look and feel to it which isn't too surprising as Samick manufactured the low to mid-end Washburn basses until the end of the 90s..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019