Help needed with strange sound coming from DR Long Necks

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chris_Brunhaver, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Hi guys, I just traded my Roscoe for an F bass BN-5. I decided to try a taper core set because George F. normally sets them up with Labella super steps (though I bought the bass used and it had MTD strings on it). Anyway, I bought a set of DR Long Necks at my local guitar center and strung it up. THe action is slightly lower up top because of the exposed core, so it is on the verge of buzzing (I will need to do a bit of setup work) but I'm getting the wierdest warbling overtones about the 12th fret for all string except the G string (which isn't taper cored). My fist instict is to take the strings back and just exchange them for some High Beams, though I don't think Guitar Center would take back strings that have been used (i.e. I have clipped the end when installing them). Do you think I should talk to DR? Anyway here is a sound clip of my bass. I play a scale in a couple octaves and the last one has the sound I'm talking about.

Suggestions are welcome.

sound clip
  2. Deep

May 8, 2002
    So you have not adjusted the bridge yet (height AND intonation) to compensate for the taper wound strings? If not, you should do it, then see how it sounds. You already know you have to raise the saddles a little and when you intonate, the saddles will have to come forward on taperwound strings. Because right now the intonation is going to be pretty off.