1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed with volume pots, volume surges.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stringmaster, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Hi TB,
    I recently made a jazz/precision/jazz bass and am having problems with the volume pots. I have it wired vol-vol-vol(push/pull to either engage or bypass the preamp)-preamp-jack. The 2 normal pots are the quarter sized cts 500k pots, and the push/pull is a bourns. The problem with all 3 is that when you turn to the last 1/8 of a spin, you get a huge volume spike. The pickups are almost inaudible up to that point though. How do I fix this? Thanks guys.

2. Do you know if you got the audio log or linear pots? If the pot has an A on it, it's audio. If it's a B, then it's linear. Linear pots on volume usually tend to roll off the volume less smoothly.

3. This is a topic of much debate here.

I feel that linear taper pots have a much smoother roll off, without the big drop from "10" to "8-ish" that you get with audio tapers, though others disagree.

4. They were sold as guitar audio pots. They are the everyday pots. I find it weird that all 3 do the same thing.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    they all three do it because they're all three audio taper pots.

the linears will solve the problem.

6. The OP says the pickups are almost inaudible up until the last eighth of the rotation, then a volume jump comes in.

An audio taper pot would normally give you the jump at around the last fifth, and it would not explain the pickups being almost inaudible below that. Unless of course they were miswired with the wiper terminal as an output, in which case, you're decreasing the resistance to ground at the output.

The parallel load of three 500K pots is only 166.67K, so I doubt it if there is any problem with having too many pots.