Help needed with wiring cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeff62, Dec 19, 2005.

1. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I've got two cabinets with 8-ohm speakers. I'd like to perform a DIY project to add a second jack to one of the cabinets so that when I connect the 2nd cabinet to the 1st I've got the cab's wired in parallel and, therefore, a 4-ohm load.

Can someone point me in the direction of a schematic (or, better yet, pic) where I can see how to do this and where I might get the parts for adding a second 1/4" jack?
  2. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Check the parallel wiring diagram here: diagrams.htm

Speaker jacks can be had from Radio Shack or on the internet from Parts Express.

Install the second jack in the cab.

Solder a wire from the tip + terminal for the first one to the termial for the tip + of the second one. Repeat for the
    ring - terminals.

All set.
  4. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Hey, thanks for the help! Real interesting comment on the Shavano site that is non-intuitive to me:

You cannot use a metal mounting plate to hold the Jacks - the Series In/Out will short out the speaker wires if you do, which will severely damage your power amplifier. Use plastic, Masonite (compressed fiber board) or thin plywood to mount the Jacks on.

Does this only apply to Series connections and I'm safe for Parallel? I just don't understand why this would be if everything is wired securely.
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That only applies to series connections. With a metal jackplate you won't have to add a ground wire to the second jack if the jacks are both all metal. Avoid Radio Shack parts, they're junk, Neutrik is your best bet, Switchcraft is good if you can find it.