Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help needed!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by scienceteacher, Apr 28, 2004.

1. scienceteacher

scienceteacher

Apr 15, 2004
    SC
    I'm trying to get a French bow for my daughter, who is a junior in high school and plans on minoring in music. Currently she has her own bass but her bow got "swapped" at a rehearsal and now she's stuck with the school's bow. She is 1st chair and has played in all state orchestra and all state symphonic band. I don't have a clue about what to look for, except that we live in a small town so it will probably be ordered via internet. Are there particular brands that I should look for? I ordered one that is pernambuco wood, ebony, silver wiring, etc but after one rehearsal the silver wire started coming off so it's going back. (I do know that doesn't affect the sound, it's just the principle of the thing). I would greatly apprecaite any help and suggestions. At 5 ft and 98 lb, she plays a 3/4 bass- any suggestions on bow length as well? :help:

2. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    You could call Tom Owen, bow maker (no internet) at 580-927-9939. he makes good quality, moderate priced bows and has been discussed in this forum (search "Tom Owen"). I mention him only because i am familiar with his work and it would give you the opportunity to speak with a live individual in defining your needs. I'm sure there are many other alternatives...

3. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    You have to audition a bow just like you audition a bass. There can be a huge difference in sound from one bow to the next.

If you are going to buy a bow mail order buy it from Lemer or some one like them who will let you audition a bow for a while before making the final selection.

Each player has to choose the weight of the bow they are going to use there is a wide selection of bow weight.

When you think that you are going to plop down about $400 for a student bow, you want to get the right bow.

Oh, I almost forgot it takes two people to auditon a bow one to play and one to listen from across the room.

Joe

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't know how much you want to spend, but for a quality student bow, I might look into a carbon fiber bow. They are good quality and a much less likely to get damaged. (I am thinking of my kids) At the same time they are fairly expensive, so if this one got "swapped" you'd be pretty miffed.

If you want to go wood via the net, Lemur is a good place to start. I have played several of the Ary bows and they were all pretty nice for the money.

5. On two separate occasions recently, I have auditioned pairs of bows from Lemur Music. They are quick, easy to work with and have excellent bows available for auditions.

The first time (for myself) I auditioned two Sieffert (German made) French style, pernambucco bows. One was round and about $600 the other octangonal and about $630.

The second time (for my daughter), it was a $200, student quality bow, French style (from Germany) of Brazilwood, and a $279, French style (Ary from France) also of Brazilwood.

Both pairs got an extensive work out by myself and my teacher. The Ary Brazilwood, and both Sieffert pernambucco bows were remarkably good.

My daughter is only 11 so she got the Ary (she has worked very long and hard on a cheap fiberglass). I chose the octagonal Sieffert, which my teacher often complements (the bow, not me).

6. dinibass

dinibass

Apr 8, 2004
    my suggestion is to go for a GLASSER bow.
    I have just purchased one and received it to Italy: a carbon fibre bow supposed to be my 2nd bow - it is now my main bow!!!
    These bows have great stability and if their 'personality' is not bold enough for soloing, for studying and orchestral work they are the best companion. They are light and very well balanced.

If you want to save money you can buy fiber glass or composite bows from Glasser, they play good to students.

I bought it from www.howardcore.com, very serious people.

http://web.tiscali.it/giorgiodini